Trey Songz Sits Atop The R&B Genre

Options

Comments

• Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    my top for r&b is Trey and Ne-Yo

i never been a big fan of ushers up tempo music..its always a hit and miss, which is why i cant really get into his Daddy's Home mixtape...i'll still check for his album tho because i like the song daddy's home
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Tray Songz aint nowhere near Neyo and Usher's league success wise, performance wise, voice wise and definetly album sales wise.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited March 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Tray Songz aint nowhere near Neyo and Usher's league success wise, performance wise, voice wise and definetly album sales wise.

Success, performance, and voice are all matters of perception... The only thing you were correct about is album sales which mean nothing... I also dont understand how Usher gets so much praise off one great album... Lets be serious
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ne-Yo came and went where? To the top of the R&B charts? His music is better and his sales are better than Trey Songz. I know i'm not the only one tired of hearing that same 'ol cheesy, bedroom music. Trey Songz is only a few steps up from Pretty Ricky. Props on him finally passing 500k though with this album...I guess that's what happens when you have 2-3 songs out at a time with Drake all over 'em.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

My Way is a great album, there is not one weak track on that whole album and at 16 Usher was making more grown music than Trey Songz is now.
  • sache
    sache Members Posts: 43
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Success, performance, and voice are all matters of perception... The only thing you were correct about is album sales which mean nothing... I also dont understand how Usher gets so much praise off one great album... Lets be serious

You are a Trey Songz dickrider...Pleasure P had a hotter album than this ? . GTFOH...Trey had a little success with this album...he will soon fade.
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Ne-Yo came and went where? To the top of the R&B charts? His music is better and his sales are better than Trey Songz. I know i'm not the only one tired of hearing that same 'ol cheesy, bedroom music. Trey Songz is only a few steps up from Pretty Ricky. Props on him finally passing 500k though with this album...I guess that's what happens when you have 2-3 songs out at a time with Drake all over 'em.

Neyo music has gotten worse and worse with each passing album, we talked about Neyo early on in the thread... Sales mean nothing. because you sell alot of records doesnt mean you delivered a great album (prime example Carter III) And yeah Trey Songz owes everthing to Drake...
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    My Way is a great album, there is not one weak track on that whole album and at 16 Usher was making more grown music than Trey Songz is now.

thats your opinion, I cant debate your opinion...
  • duckmanpig
    duckmanpig Members Posts: 428
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Aw Hell No.

Love Lost is still the ? tho
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I agree. His writing abilities are either limited or undeveloped. I wouldn't call him boring, but I will say he's just average/listenable.
  • mystery brown
    mystery brown Confirm Email Posts: 144
    edited March 2010
    Options
    #1 - R&B as a whole has fallen off worse than hip-hop in the last 10 years. There's like 7 artists left even worth mentioning, so even if this were true, it's not saying much. It'd be like the LA Clippers winning the D-League title or North Carolina winning the NIT.

#2 - Like I said, this even isn't true. Ne-Yo, Anthony Hamilton, and Maxwell are waay better than this dude. That "LOL Smiley Face" ? on his catalogue can't even be considered for him to be top in R&B.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    duckmanpig wrote: »
    Aw Hell No.

Love Lost is still the ? tho

thts my ?
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    #1 - R&B as a whole has fallen off worse than hip-hop in the last 10 years. There's like 7 artists left even worth mentioning, so even if this were true, it's not saying much. It'd be like the LA Clippers winning the D-League title or North Carolina winning the NIT.

#2 - Like I said, this even isn't true. Ne-Yo, Anthony Hamilton, and Maxwell are waay better than this dude. That "LOL Smiley Face" ? on his catalogue can't even be considered for him to be top in R&B.

Music never fell off, ya favorite rapper/singer did... You're just not in-tune, the last decade was great for music in general not just hip hop and R&B... Some of the most brilliant, innovative, and classical music ever was released last decade... However I dont think when reflecting on the highlights of the last decade musically "The point of it all" or "Year of the Gentleman" would be deserving of a mention... "Ready" on the other hand is a different story
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

IT WOULDA BEEN HOT IF..............he didnt have wack ass Souljah biy and Gucci on that ? .............i skip it everytime
  • tri3w
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Music never fell off, ya favorite rapper/singer did... You're just not in-tune, the last decade was great for music in general not just hip hop and R&B... Some of the most brilliant, innovative, and classical music ever was released last decade... However I dont think when reflecting on the highlights of the last decade musically "The point of it all" or "Year of the Gentleman" would be deserving of a mention... "Ready" on the other hand is a different story

no ...............it has.............Greatly
  • R.D.
    edited March 2010
    Options

Whoaaaaaa im with you and agree with Trey being around the top right now but you dont have to down other artist to prove it because IMO, in their own right, both The Point of it all and Year of the gentleman were just as good as Ready and arguably better
  • R.D.
    edited March 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    no ...............it has.............Greatly

Thats your opinion, music just like everything else changes and progresses with the time, maybe you came up in a different era which would explain why you feel that way.
  • tri3w
    edited March 2010
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    Thats your opinion, music just like everything else changes and progresses with the time, maybe you came up in a different era which would explain why you feel that way.

smh..........my dude,.............? DOnt sing no more, Y the ? u in the Game if u cant Sing???? DOnt give me that, "progression" ? ............this is Degression............ur suppose to get better not Worse
  • Mr. R&B
    Mr. R&B Members Posts: 80
    edited March 2010
    Options
    However I dont think when reflecting on the highlights of the last decade musically "The point of it all" or "Year of the Gentleman" would be deserving of a mention... "Ready" on the other hand is a different story
    In My Own Words, however, is more than worthy of a mention.
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited March 2010
    Options
    He shouldve released Anticipation as an album. He lost on that one
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    Whoaaaaaa im with you and agree with Trey being around the top right now but you dont have to down other artist to prove it because IMO, in their own right, both The Point of it all and Year of the gentleman were just as good as Ready and arguably better

Go back in the thread... Trust me I love Neyo and Anthony Hamilton, Anthony Hamilton even more so than Neyo... I wouldnt try to down play either artist... "Coming from where Im from" is certified classic, however I could not for the life of me get into The point of it all though... Maybe its just me :shrugs And I love neyo's first two albums, this one just wasnt AS good... not to say it isnt good at all, it has its stands out, and "closer" is one of my favorite Neyo songz... Im just saying its not as good as in my own words or because of you...

The post you quoted me on was more me saying there is plenty of great music out there, enough with the cliche "R&B/hip hop is dead" you sound foolish saying that...
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mr. R&B wrote: »
    In My Own Words, however, is more than worthy of a mention.

agreed, I would even say "Because of you" is too!
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    im starting to think this is a semi shock thread.........

pleasure p album better then ready????????? u serious.... i got both and ready is WAY better then pleasure p's.....(not sayin his was bad tho)

also trey even said he didnt want drake on the 2 tracks that was on the c.d. smh @ ? think in he owes his sucess 2 drake..... gtfoh.......
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    he cant ? with RKELLY yet
  • sweethoney5
    sweethoney5 Members Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Neyo music has gotten worse and worse with each passing album, we talked about Neyo early on in the thread... Sales mean nothing. because you sell alot of records doesnt mean you delivered a great album (prime example Carter III) And yeah Trey Songz owes everthing to Drake...

Ok I have to just say Trey owes Drake NOTHING!! If anything Drake owes Wayne for his career.Yall some haters that just can't stand to see a young,intelligent black man doing his thing and need to get a life of your own.Sure there are other rnb singers who can sing out rite now but Trey is at the top rite now hate it or love it! Let the ? have his shine..Damn!