Trey Songz Sits Atop The R&B Genre

Options

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I like Mario so I aint gone diss him, but Mario created this lane for himself that when I see him I dont even think grown and sexy no ? , I think just a friend... Thats why when Mario dropped that smash last year and ? was tryna crown him I wasnt wit it... Ya reign on the top was short like blades of grass...

@Mr.R&b - Neyo last album was garbage, Im a Neyo fan so my posts arent hate inspired... He had a spark when he started but now....

@ the person that said Chris Brown, you're revealing alot about ya music IQ... I see you just chase radio singles and such... Chris brown has never put out a great album and never will... He's what we refer to as a radio artists... 15 tracks on ya album and 3 or 4 hot (all the singles)

what album did you hear
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Its no use arguing with this dude....I tried. He stuck on Trey Songz being the best thing to R&B.....

Ne-Yo is a way better artist then Trey Songz by the way....
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mr. R&B wrote: »
    Haha, I know you ain't hating, dude. I'm not one of those people who labels someone a hater just because. You're just sharing your opinion.

I have to disagree, though. Although it wasn't nearly as good as In My Own Words, Year of The Gentleman was a solid album and (4/5 stars in Rolling Stone, 6 Grammy nominations, went Platinum) a success still.

Ne-Yo is on hip-hop hooks, writing songs for big R&B names, producing, etc. This dude is definitely sitting on top of the male R&B game.

Meanwhile, Trey Songz has yet to see a platinum plaque in his career. I'm not saying sales has EVERYTHING to do with, but if you're going to debate on who is on top of the game, it's definitely something worth mentioning. Plus, you already know what I think about Trey musically.

Ne-Yo is one of those rare artists that puts out good quality music consistently and sells at the same time.

^^^^^^^
    This....
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Haha, I know you ain't hating, dude. I'm not one of those people who labels someone a hater just because. You're just sharing your opinion.

I have to disagree, though. Although it wasn't nearly as good as In My Own Words, Year of The Gentleman was a solid album and (4/5 stars in Rolling Stone, 6 Grammy nominations, went Platinum) a success still.

Ne-Yo is on hip-hop hooks, writing songs for big R&B names, producing, etc. This dude is definitely sitting on top of the male R&B game.

Meanwhile, Trey Songz has yet to see a platinum plaque in his career. I'm not saying sales has EVERYTHING to do with, but if you're going to debate on who is on top of the game, it's definitely something worth mentioning. Plus, you already know what I think about Trey musically.

Ne-Yo is one of those rare artists that puts out good quality music consistently and sells at the same time.

Im not trying to take anything away from Neyo... Keep in mind Im just speaking in terms of Neyo as an artist... I know he pens beautiful music for other artist in the game and produces... Thats cool but as far as Neyo as an artist I think we all can agree that this guy has gotten considerably worse with each passing album. His first being his best, still not a 5 star album though... Lets be real you cant just play that thing straight through beginning to end, at least I cant... For arguments sake I will say it was a 5 star album... On to because of you, the quality of music gets worse, a few standouts on the album, a couple more mediocre songs and the rest ehhh... Now to year of the gentlemen, you yourself said it doesnt compare to his earlier work... Based on this what do you think his next album will sound like?? Cmon lets be real, you talkin bout he on rap hooks?? Look how he did my man Jada last year, he's part of the reason Jada aint do them big numbers...

Now when you speak in terms of Trey who came in the game around the same time as Neyo, Who's first album was arguably better than Neyo's First album and Whose Third album was better than Neyo's third album... You are also speaking on a guy whose music just keeps improving... He's getting better with time, he's getting more mature, the quality of music is there... Lets not speak about the critically acclaimed masterpiece "ready" Lets talk Anticipation, the critically acclaimed masterpiece he gave to the fans scott free... Countless rap features.. The mixtape material... The boy grind like wayne... like pac even

Right Neyo has a broader audience than Trey, I will agree with that, but I can not agree that he is better... I guess to some it up put it like this... In the music industry every so often you will have someone special come along, Like a Teedra Moses for example... No platinum plaques... No grammy nods... No radio play... But people who are fortunate enough to be familiar with her vast body of work know that she is one of the most talented people out there... Thats what Trey is, just the male version, he may never get a grammy, but the people in the know, know!
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    I feel what you are saying , but good music is good music no matter what the genre is . Yes Trey is still a young dude . However I refuse to make that an excuse. Maxwell came out with UHS at 23. I agree Maxwell is more soul and jazz influenced. Trey is hot as a fire ? right now , but will the music he made recently stand the test of time ? And thats my prob with Trey . He has the voice and the talent to make songs that will no doubt stand the test of time , but he doesn't always do so . For example as soon as u heard " Pretty Wings " you knew it would be played on you local quite storms for the next 30 years the same goes for the Melanie Fiona " It kills Me " joint. As far as Trey I am not so sure about the songs he has. Maybe they will . Now I will say my favorite Trey Joint is the " You Belong to Me " joint. Thats some serious heat right there .

Exposure plays a big part in Trey's music being played 20 30 years from now though... Trey is just now beginning to get that exposure now... Trust me he aint going nowhere no time soon... It always take the rest of the world a little longer to catch up... Reasonable Doubt aint go platinum to years later, neither did Illmatic, Jordan got selected third, you see how that turned out...

If local radio stations knew about the "you belong to me" joint you dont think they would play that on quiet storms?? are you kidding me?
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    He got to tour with Jay Z because of all the work he put in... Not because of what anyone else did... Jay not bringing nobody mediocre on tour, only A listers... do ya research...

lmao....ok.....see i was wit you for a minute but you ridin too hard homie....what work did he put in prior to this album that was so spectacular?.... he was in that grey area...the one where Omarion, Mario, J. Holiday and countless other R&B acts who have the opportunity to either go up to superstar level or stay as an R&B star......the last album was asscheeks wit one or two good singles and the fact that he CHANGED MANAGEMENT is the main reason for the wave he's riding now(along with C. Browns downfall)....be clear he's working under Kevin Liles who at one point happened to work with....Jay-Z....jay could've EASILY picked Usher over Trey if he really "wanted an A-lister"

oh BTW...how is dude an A-Lister....if he's only opening up the show.....

Neyo-A Lister
    Maxwell- A Lister
    Usher- A-Lister
    C. Brown(prior to the incident) A-Lister

Trey is on the come up but he aint an A-Lister just yet....
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    lmao....ok.....see i was wit you for a minute but you ridin too hard homie....what work did he put in prior to this album that was so spectacular?.... he was in that grey area...the one where Omarion, Mario, J. Holiday and countless other R&B acts who have the opportunity to either go up to superstar level or stay as an R&B star......the last album was asscheeks wit one or two good singles and the fact that he CHANGED MANAGEMENT is the main reason for the wave he's riding now(along with C. Browns downfall)....be clear he's working under Kevin Liles who at one point happened to work with....Jay-Z....jay could've EASILY picked Usher over Trey if he really "wanted an A-lister"

oh BTW...how is dude an A-Lister....if he's only opening up the show.....

Neyo-A Lister
    Maxwell- A Lister
    Usher- A-Lister
    C. Brown(prior to the incident) A-Lister

Trey is on the come up but he aint an A-Lister just yet....

The second album wasnt garbage, if thats the one you are referring too... But admittedly it wasnt his best work, and you are right after the second album he was in a grey area... A great debut followed by a mediocre follow up, what he did afterward would surely tell if he would obtain superstardom or stay an R&B star... I totally agree, here is where the work comes in that I refer too... This is when he dropped countless remixes, built his following, released anticipation, and released Ready, all of that is what seperates him from Omarion, Mario and J Holiday... You keep bringing up Rihanna as a credit to why Chris brown isnt relevant, which is false... He isnt relevant because he just put out his worse album to date, which I purchased might I add, and the only 2 songs I still listen too are "famous girl" and "Wait" feat Trey Songz ironically...

When the artists you named were busy doing nothing Trey was working releasing great material...

As I previously mentioned Maxwell and trey arent even in the same lane... Maxwell wont even fit in on a hiphop and R&B tour, 2 different genres

To say Usher's current material is better than Trey's is laughable, he's basically running with Treys sing rap blueprint these days and its sad to see him reduced to following instead of leading the pack... Ive comet to terms with the fact that he isnt the same artist since the last album he released and I realize we will never get another confessions...

Chris brown was never an a lister... B list at best even at the height of his popularity around the release of his second album, he was always for the kids, this shouldve been the album when he transitioned fully into adulthood...

Ive already expressed my sentiments about Neyo

And I would say he is now an A lister, but I wont argue with a person that says he's on the come up, just agree to disagree... I mean last month it was the Tavis Smiley show and last week is was the white house, I consider that A list...

And keep in mind the management change didnt come till after the release of ready, so pleast dont try to take anything away from all the hard work trey put it but crediting any of the fruits of his labor to some management change, lets be real...
  • Mr. R&B
    Mr. R&B Members Posts: 80
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Im not trying to take anything away from Neyo... Keep in mind Im just speaking in terms of Neyo as an artist... I know he pens beautiful music for other artist in the game and produces... Thats cool but as far as Neyo as an artist I think we all can agree that this guy has gotten considerably worse with each passing album. His first being his best, still not a 5 star album though... Lets be real you cant just play that thing straight through beginning to end, at least I cant... For arguments sake I will say it was a 5 star album... On to because of you, the quality of music gets worse, a few standouts on the album, a couple more mediocre songs and the rest ehhh... Now to year of the gentlemen, you yourself said it doesnt compare to his earlier work... Based on this what do you think his next album will sound like?? Cmon lets be real, you talkin bout he on rap hooks?? Look how he did my man Jada last year, he's part of the reason Jada aint do them big numbers...

Now when you speak in terms of Trey who came in the game around the same time as Neyo, Who's first album was arguably better than Neyo's First album and Whose Third album was better than Neyo's third album... You are also speaking on a guy whose music just keeps improving... He's getting better with time, he's getting more mature, the quality of music is there... Lets not speak about the critically acclaimed masterpiece "ready" Lets talk Anticipation, the critically acclaimed masterpiece he gave to the fans scott free... Countless rap features.. The mixtape material... The boy grind like wayne... like pac even

Right Neyo has a broader audience than Trey, I will agree with that, but I can not agree that he is better... I guess to some it up put it like this... In the music industry every so often you will have someone special come along, Like a Teedra Moses for example... No platinum plaques... No grammy nods... No radio play... But people who are fortunate enough to be familiar with her vast body of work know that she is one of the most talented people out there... Thats what Trey is, just the male version, he may never get a grammy, but the people in the know, know!
    Ah, once again, I have to, respectfully, disagree.

I too am speaking of Ne-Yo the artist. The fact that he pens most of his songs and does that so well that some of the big names in the game request his songwriting skills makes him that much more valuable in my eyes. Same for his production skills. I think if people want a smash hit that sounds good and refreshing, they'll call Ne-Yo before even thinking about Trey Songs. And I believe that speaks tons on Ne-Yo as an artist. He's putting out refreshing songs, whereas Trey Songz is putting out songs that, if I didn't know he was singing them, I'd think it was just some random artist. Nothing special. Forgettable.

And, I know I may catch some heat for this but, I always found Because of You to be Ne-Yo's "weakest" album. All 3 are solid, but In My Own Words is by far his best and, for me, Year of The Gentleman is his second best. It's just consistent from the first track to the last. Whereas, Because of You had some great tracks, but some pretty lame ones. Year of The Gentleman put him back on top, if you ask me and I can't wait for his next album.

As for Jada not doing big numbers... When does he lol? I mean Kiss of Death did well and all, but you can't blame Ne-Yo for a rapper not selling nowadays lmao. The Last Kiss was just a mediocre album from a rapper who isn't very marketable or appealing to the mainstream. My point was, rappers getting Ne-Yo on their hooks, because dude can sing and make a catchy chorus. Trey is improving, perhaps, but Ne-Yo doesn't really need to. I think he should stick to whatever he's doing, because it's working. Love his voice, whereas Trey's is pretty generic, love the concepts of his songs, whereas Trey's are, once again, pretty generic and love his lyrics, whereas Trey's are... Well, you know what I'm going to say. People ain't deaf, they know who Trey Songz is. He's not as underrated and slept on as you're painting him out to be. They're just not feeling him.

Trey is just... Aaaiiiiiight. There's nothing special about this dude. He puts out alright music, that doesn't sell. What's there left to say after that? Nothing except he is NOT sitting on top of the male R&B game. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
  • William Samuel
    William Samuel Members Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Garth Brooks - Friends In Low Places
    Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk
    Selena - Como La Flor
    T.I. - What You Know
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The second album wasnt garbage, if thats the one you are referring too... But admittedly it wasnt his best work, and you are right after the second album he was in a grey area... A great debut followed by a mediocre follow up, what he did afterward would surely tell if he would obtain superstardom or stay an R&B star... I totally agree, here is where the work comes in that I refer too... This is when he dropped countless remixes, built his following, released anticipation, and released Ready, all of that is what seperates him from Omarion, Mario and J Holiday... You keep bringing up Rihanna as a credit to why Chris brown isnt relevant, which is false... He isnt relevant because he just put out his worse album to date, which I purchased might I add, and the only 2 songs I still listen too are "famous girl" and "Wait" feat Trey Songz ironically...When the artists you named were busy doing nothing Trey was working releasing great material...

As I previously mentioned Maxwell and trey arent even in the same lane... Maxwell wont even fit in on a hiphop and R&B tour, 2 different genres

To say Usher's current material is better than Trey's is laughable, he's basically running with Treys sing rap blueprint these days and its sad to see him reduced to following instead of leading the pack... Ive comet to terms with the fact that he isnt the same artist since the last album he released and I realize we will never get another confessions...

Chris brown was never an a lister... B list at best even at the height of his popularity around the release of his second album, he was always for the kids, this shouldve been the album when he transitioned fully into adulthood...Ive already expressed my sentiments about Neyo

And I would say he is now an A lister, but I wont argue with a person that says he's on the come up, just agree to disagree... I mean last month it was the Tavis Smiley show and last week is was the white house, I consider that A list...
    And keep in mind the management change didnt come till after the release of ready, so pleast dont try to take anything away from all the hard work trey put it but crediting any of the fruits of his labor to some management change, lets be real....

1st bold- i see what your sayin the boy is grindin

2nd- you reeeeeeally think CB's album would've came out like that if nothing happend that night.....it was obviously "rushed" to get back on the scene and in good graces wit the fans...c'mon son 4 real

3rd- i never said anything about Usher current ? being on the same level as Trey's but he too has "put in work" and is still an A-lister R&B singer who can go on his OWN tour BY HIMSELF and sell out every venue...trey still can't do that...

4th- are you basing this just off his music?.....CB was all over the place and catipulted into A-Lister status off his last album, he was on every damn award show and did the "Jayonce" relationship thing with Rihanna... he was growing into a man with the songs he was puttin out at the time(more grown and sexy...less dancing)...how was he not considered an A-lister?....everybody was talkin about him being the next MJ were they not?

5th- lmao...c'mon son...if he went there BY HIMSELF...or better yet if it was TREY SONGZ who got the invite instead of Jay-Z then you might have a point

6th- no one is taking away from his "hard work", but if you think his former management would've put him in the same position his current management has him in now...we'll just have to agree to disagree

and i did say trey was on top of the game to begin with, so what are we even talkin about fam?
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ah, once again, I have to, respectfully, disagree.

I too am speaking of Ne-Yo the artist. The fact that he pens most of his songs and does that so well that some of the big names in the game request his songwriting skills makes him that much more valuable in my eyes. Same for his production skills. I think if people want a smash hit that sounds good and refreshing, they'll call Ne-Yo before even thinking about Trey Songs. And I believe that speaks tons on Ne-Yo as an artist. He's putting out refreshing songs, whereas Trey Songz is putting out songs that, if I didn't know he was singing them, I'd think it was just some random artist. Nothing special. Forgettable.

And, I know I may catch some heat for this but, I always found Because of You to be Ne-Yo's "weakest" album. All 3 are solid, but In My Own Words is by far his best and, for me, Year of The Gentleman is his second best. It's just consistent from the first track to the last. Whereas, Because of You had some great tracks, but some pretty lame ones. Year of The Gentleman put him back on top, if you ask me and I can't wait for his next album.

As for Jada not doing big numbers... When does he lol? I mean Kiss of Death did well and all, but you can't blame Ne-Yo for a rapper not selling nowadays lmao. The Last Kiss was just a mediocre album from a rapper who isn't very marketable or appealing to the mainstream. My point was, rappers getting Ne-Yo on their hooks, because dude can sing and make a catchy chorus. Trey is improving, perhaps, but Ne-Yo doesn't really need to. I think he should stick to whatever he's doing, because it's working. Love his voice, whereas Trey's is pretty generic, love the concepts of his songs, whereas Trey's are, once again, pretty generic and love his lyrics, whereas Trey's are... Well, you know what I'm going to say. People ain't deaf, they know who Trey Songz is. He's not as underrated and slept on as you're painting him out to be. They're just not feeling him.

Trey is just... Aaaiiiiiight. There's nothing special about this dude. He puts out alright music, that doesn't sell. What's there left to say after that? Nothing except he is NOT sitting on top of the male R&B game. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

good point...that does speak volumes....Neyo is basically a triple threat in the game right now...he's really in another stratusphere than most of these other cats b/c he does so much more....
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    oh and if Trey comes with another album equivalant to this or better then he becomes an A-lister IMO...but again we gotta see how he rides the wave.....
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Exposure plays a big part in Trey's music being played 20 30 years from now though... Trey is just now beginning to get that exposure now... Trust me he aint going nowhere no time soon... It always take the rest of the world a little longer to catch up... Reasonable Doubt aint go platinum to years later, neither did Illmatic, Jordan got selected third, you see how that turned out...

If local radio stations knew about the "you belong to me" joint you dont think they would play that on quiet storms?? are you kidding me?

Man I surprised at you. I know in the DC radio market they play ish out of the " You Belong to me " joint. But Trey is cool , I will say he has to get a couple things under his belt to be considered A-Lister . 1 is a Number 1 album and the second is to headline a tour. And not a tour with Day 26 and Mario. 3. He has to go Platinum sooner or later. I am not big on Grammys, I mean Marvin Gaye only has 1 . But having Grammy Award winner in front of your name doesn't hurt. And as successful as Trey has been this year, Before this year Maxwell accomplished more in his career than Trey has in his whole career. But this past year alone Maxwell has accomplished more than Trey has in his whole career after being gone off the scene 8 years. So I disagree when you say he is at the top of the R&B game. But you my dude and I respect Trey a lil more than I did before
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The second album wasnt garbage, if thats the one you are referring too... But admittedly it wasnt his best work, and you are right after the second album he was in a grey area... A great debut followed by a mediocre follow up, what he did afterward would surely tell if he would obtain superstardom or stay an R&B star... I totally agree, here is where the work comes in that I refer too... This is when he dropped countless remixes, built his following, released anticipation, and released Ready, all of that is what seperates him from Omarion, Mario and J Holiday... You keep bringing up Rihanna as a credit to why Chris brown isnt relevant, which is false... He isnt relevant because he just put out his worse album to date, which I purchased might I add, and the only 2 songs I still listen too are "famous girl" and "Wait" feat Trey Songz ironically...

When the artists you named were busy doing nothing Trey was working releasing great material...

Chris brown was never an a lister... B list at best even at the height of his popularity around the release of his second album, he was always for the kids, this shouldve been the album when he transitioned fully into adulthood...

Ive already expressed my sentiments about Neyo

And keep in mind the management change didnt come till after the release of ready, so pleast dont try to take anything away from all the hard work trey put it but crediting any of the fruits of his labor to some management change, lets be real...

Acutaully thats not tru...........Dude was doin that SIng rap ? on COnfesions.........
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Whats good homie?? It feels good to be back... I been wanting to tell you how hot that Memoirs album was too!! Damn ya girl came through and crushed em

Yea, my girl killed that ? .

And truth be told, Trey Songz >>>>> Ne-Yo (and Usher, right now).

Ne-Yo may be an "artist", in that he writes, produces, arranges his own material, but he's not very good at it. His music is often times bland, pedestrian, and his songwriting lacks depth. I mean, seriously. It doesn't take much complexity to write "To the left, to the left."

And Usher's music is just ? right now.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I mean, seriously. It doesn't take much complexity to write "To the left, to the left."
    The intention behind that was for it to be catchy - which it was/is - not to rival Big Daddy Kane in lyricism. What about the rest of the song? Yeah.

lol@summing up Ne-Yo's songwriting skills with one line in a BEYONCE track. C'mon.

Like the lyric, "say aah (aah, aah, aah, aah)" will be studied in music theory classrooms everywhere , decades from now. :rolleyes:
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "Irreplaceable" is one of the most banally written songs in all of Contemporary Music.

It's easily one of Beyonce's most banal.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    "Irreplaceable" is one of the most banally written songs in all of Contemporary Music.

It's easily one of Beyonce's most banal.
    I don't disagree with that. Personally, I don't like Beyonce's music, period.

But, it was catchy. And that's what she was going for. And Ne-Yo delivered.

Either way, that song doesn't do Ne-Yo's songwriting justice.
  • supern0va_
    supern0va_ Members Posts: 214
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The intention behind that was for it to be catchy - which it was/is - not to rival Big Daddy Kane in lyricism. What about the rest of the song? Yeah.

lol@summing up Ne-Yo's songwriting skills with one line in a BEYONCE track. C'mon.

Like the lyric, "say aah (aah, aah, aah, aah)" will be studied in music theory classrooms everywhere , decades from now. :rolleyes:

exactly what i was gonna say lol

Trey is doing a lot better these days, but still Usher and Ne-Yo are still more successful than him.
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    1st bold- i see what your sayin the boy is grindin

2nd- you reeeeeeally think CB's album would've came out like that if nothing happend that night.....it was obviously "rushed" to get back on the scene and in good graces wit the fans...c'mon son 4 real

3rd- i never said anything about Usher current ? being on the same level as Trey's but he too has "put in work" and is still an A-lister R&B singer who can go on his OWN tour BY HIMSELF and sell out every venue...trey still can't do that...

4th- are you basing this just off his music?.....CB was all over the place and catipulted into A-Lister status off his last album, he was on every damn award show and did the "Jayonce" relationship thing with Rihanna... he was growing into a man with the songs he was puttin out at the time(more grown and sexy...less dancing)...how was he not considered an A-lister?....everybody was talkin about him being the next MJ were they not?

5th- lmao...c'mon son...if he went there BY HIMSELF...or better yet if it was TREY SONGZ who got the invite instead of Jay-Z then you might have a point

6th- no one is taking away from his "hard work", but if you think his former management would've put him in the same position his current management has him in now...we'll just have to agree to disagree

and i did say trey was on top of the game to begin with, so what are we even talkin about fam?

Ummm yeah I think before the incident wit Ri Ri chris album was already done... Had the incident not taking place he wouldve definetly got better promotion and marketing, more videos and things like that, but the material wouldve still been the same, underwhelming...

And I agree Usher has put in his work... I love Confessions to death, and I like 8701. I honestly cant just say for a fact that Usher can headline and sell out a tour right now, I can personally say I would not pay more than 40 dollars to go to a Usher concert right now...

Umm when I wrote that about CB I think I was just going off the music, I had forgotten about the movies and major endorsements he was getting from wrigleys and everyone else right before this, so i retract my statement... He was an A lister

Michelle made the request for Trey personally....

6th his management team of course is way better now, but part of the reason Kevin Liles took on the responsibility of managing him is because of all the work he has currently puttin in...

Honestly I dont know what we talking about, but musical conversation is entertaining to me so :unno

@ Mr. R&B we gone respectfuly agree to disagree... I see you just aint feeling trey like that and i cant knock ya
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Man I surprised at you. I know in the DC radio market they play ish out of the " You Belong to me " joint. But Trey is cool , I will say he has to get a couple things under his belt to be considered A-Lister . 1 is a Number 1 album and the second is to headline a tour. And not a tour with Day 26 and Mario. 3. He has to go Platinum sooner or later. I am not big on Grammys, I mean Marvin Gaye only has 1 . But having Grammy Award winner in front of your name doesn't hurt. And as successful as Trey has been this year, Before this year Maxwell accomplished more in his career than Trey has in his whole career. But this past year alone Maxwell has accomplished more than Trey has in his whole career after being gone off the scene 8 years. So I disagree when you say he is at the top of the R&B game. But you my dude and I respect Trey a lil more than I did before

See how I look at it I would say Maxwell is atop the Soul/Jazz/Eclectic genre and Trey is R&B... Ready Debuted at number one I thought, and I agree that my boy need to go plat sooner or later, I think his next project will be the one that finally does...

Yo Slim I dont even listen to NJ/NY radio no more... Same ? on every station, every station is owned by clear channel... I just be off the ipod now
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    See how I look at it I would say Maxwell is atop the Soul/Jazz/Eclectic genre and Trey is R&B... Ready Debuted at number one I thought, and I agree that my boy need to go plat sooner or later, I think his next project will be the one that finally does...

Yo Slim I dont even listen to NJ/NY radio no more... Same ? on every station, every station is owned by clear channel... I just be off the ipod now

I am the same way bro. But when my girl is in the crib she turns on the radio so i am forced to listen to it

Ready debuted at # 3
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yo Trey Songz can sing his ass off. The joint he did with Toni Braxton was crazy.. but his album was only good... maybe 6.5/10 to me... I liked the previous efforts better. And he need to stop making them corny songs like LOL Smiley Face.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @ Mr. R&B we gone respectfuly agree to disagree... I see you just aint feeling trey like that and i cant knock ya
    Like I said earlier, I gots no problem with that. I respect your opinions. :)
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Yo Trey Songz can sing his ass off. The joint he did with Toni Braxton was crazy.. but his album was only good... maybe 6.5/10 to me... I liked the previous efforts better. And he need to stop making them corny songs like LOL Smiley Face.

only a 6.5??????????? on my momma if he put "last time" on this cd and "lol smiley face" on his last cd..... this cd would be a classic ( imo it already is)