The Official Biggie Vs Jay-Z Thread...

Options
Mdizzle9000
Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Would Jay-Z be successful if Biggie never died?

i was thinkin about this yesterday. jay made it a point to take bigs spot. i dont even think he would have the same style had big never died, but what do yall think? would jay have his spot if big was still fillin his?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly question..

Of course he would be as succesful.. In fact it would have made his game better from the competition. Jigga has and had the talent why would it be any different.
  • You Mad
    You Mad Members Posts: 234
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yes, but he definitely used Biggie's death to propel him to the top faster.
  • goat334
    goat334 Members Posts: 3,604 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly question..

Of course he would be as succesful.. In fact it would have made his game better from the competition. Jigga has and had the talent why would it be any different.
    Co-sign.....
    You Mad wrote: »

I don't see how...besides a couple of verses and shout-outs...
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jay Z could barely go Platinum while Biggie was alive and 1 year after Biggie dies he moves 5 Million? LOL, it's clear Big's death open the flood gates for Jay. Not only did Jay get co-signed by Biggie, most of Biggie's fan drifted towards Jay after Big's death. Would Jay still been successful? I think so cause he was alined with Biggie and "The Commission" would of been a success in my opinion so Jay was set no matter what. But there is no way Jay would be as Big as he is now if Big lived. Jay wasn't even more popular than Ma$e or NaS while Biggie was alive, Jay didn't get popular until Notorious stop breathing.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly question..

yeah he got the talent but alot of dudes with talent just get unlucky and dont have 100 million dollar careers. i just dont know if he would be as successful.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    No....Its only room for 1 King..... Jay-Z wouldve been Memp Bleek.....simple and plain
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2010
    Options
    No....Its only room for 1 King..... Jay-Z wouldve been Memp Bleek.....simple and plain

Yes Jay would of been #2 but he would of been Bigger than Memphis. Jay was the perfect rhyme partner for Big. They both would of been going Platinum and Jay obviously had skills. My only thing is it's clear that Jay's success was based on Biggie, even his style and formulas were taken from Biggie. This is why Jay can not stop bigging up Big even till this day. Jay knows deep down inside, Biggie was and still remains the True King of NY.
  • flushill401
    flushill401 Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I cosign this.
  • You Mad
    You Mad Members Posts: 234
    edited March 2010
    Options
    goat334 wrote: »
    I don't see how...besides a couple of verses and shout-outs...

Biggie dying was a major moment in hip-hop and brought a lot of new fans to hip-hop. Remember how big of a hit that Puffy song was when Big died? "Every breath I take" I think it was called. Jay-Z capitalized on Biggie's death just like Diddy did. Not to say that they weren't genuinely remorseful, but you can't say Biggie and Tupac's death didn't bring more attention to rap than ever before. Certain people who were close to Biggie were able to tell their remorse in rhymes, which in turn used Biggie's death to gain more notoriety. There's nothing wrong with it, but all of this seems evident to me.
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Anyone saying Jay Z did not gain from Big's Death is in denial. "Life After Death" remains the Highest Selling Album Jay Z has ever appeared on. Case Closed.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    considering he had his OWN company and alot more money before BIG did, i dont see how he wouldn't have been successful regardless if Big was alive or not....Jay was about his money , ? all the hiphop ? , he was chasin the buck from day one so yeah he'd still be successful, he prolly wouldn't have had as long a run on top and Puffy prolly would've been the face of hiphop for bringing Big to the masses and being a hip hop mogul....
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Biggie dying was a major moment in hip-hop and brought a lot of new fans to hip-hop. Remember how big of a hit that Puffy song was when Big died? "Every breath I take" I think it was called. Jay-Z capitalized on Biggie's death just like Diddy did. Not to say that they weren't genuinely remorseful, but you can't say Biggie and Tupac's death didn't bring more attention to rap than ever before. Certain people who were close to Biggie were able to tell their remorse in rhymes, which in turn used Biggie's death to gain more notoriety. There's nothing wrong with it, but all of this seems evident to me.

You said, "Yes, but he definitely used Biggie's death to propel him to the top faster.".....How did Jay use Biggie's death to become Successful.....man ya'll ? are wild with some of the ? ya'll come up with.....I hope ? like this never comes up outside of the internet.....
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Does this logic apply to DMX,50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Nas, Wu,Outkast,etc or does it only apply to Jay-z? As for the question, i don't see how one mans absence has anything to do with another persons success. It's like asking if the south would of won the Civil Ware would black people be free today, you can't stop the future from happening.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited March 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Does this logic apply to DMX,50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Nas, Wu,Outkast,etc or does it only apply to Jay-z? As for the question, i don't see how one mans absence has anything to do with another persons success. It's like asking if the south would of won the Civil Ware would black people be free today, you can't stop the future from happening.

maybe X wudda been less successful had pac not died cuz dudes was lookin 4 emotional ? 2 replace him but big had nuthin 2 do wit him, nas was triple plat when big was livin, wu was successful when big was livin and every1 else u named came wayy lata.
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Thank You!!! Somebody with some sense and Logic....................

This is what happens to your brain when you listen to Gucci Mane.......
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Silly question..

TRILL POST.

DO YOU RAP? DO YOU NEED BEATS?
    www.soundclick.com/tbkbeats

^^^^^^^
    THE HOTTEST BEATS YOU'VE EVER HEARD. PERIOD.
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    considering he had his OWN company and alot more money before BIG did, i dont see how he wouldn't have been successful regardless if Big was alive or not....Jay was about his money , ? all the hiphop ? , he was chasin the buck from day one so yeah he'd still be successful, he prolly wouldn't have had as long a run on top and Puffy prolly would've been the face of hiphop for bringing Big to the masses and being a hip hop mogul....

Jay having money has nothing to do with his fanbase damn near tripling after Biggie died. Where did those 5 Million fans come from? Let's not kid ourselves. Jay benefited greatly from Big's death. Biggie was in Jay's 1st two video's from his debut album. Biggie was the biggest artist in both of those videos. The Golden Road was laid out by Biggie and Jay just walked right on it after he passed. Jay's whole album blueprints from Vol 1-up have used Big's formulas. I don't even need to bring up his debut in which Biggie was the Biggest rap feature on the album. The Bottom line, Big's death left a void for Jay to fill. Big doesn't die, there is no void. Jay Z "Biggie I'll be multi Before I die". Yet it was Biggie that was already multiplatinum while Jay was dreaming of moving units. Like Said in 1997 at Big's Death, Ma$e was the bigger artist as well as NaS. Jay Z didn't become the Jay Z of today until Post Biggie.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You said, "Yes, but he definitely used Biggie's death to propel him to the top faster.".....How did Jay use Biggie's death to become Successful.....man ya'll ? are wild with some of the ? ya'll come up with.....I hope ? like this never comes up outside of the internet.....

You know these silly ? would fight over this ? ... There is and another room for everyone in the game.. for better or worse.. these days.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    maybe X wudda been less successful had pac not died cuz dudes was lookin 4 emotional ? 2 replace him but big had nuthin 2 do wit him, nas was triple plat when big was livin, wu was successful when big was livin and every1 else u named came wayy lata.

But you are acting like X and Pac are the same person and Jay and Big are the same person, there styles are quite different if you ask me. MF's act like there are 2 slots in hiphop and only 2 people can occupy them at the same time, there is room for everyone in hiphop, and PAC AND BIGGIE AREN'T THE BEGINNING AND END ALL TO HIPHOP. There are damn near 5 billion rappers in the world and 500 billion fans, people can like more than one rapper at a time.
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jay having money has nothing to do with his fanbase damn near tripling after Biggie died. Where did those 5 Million fans come from? Let's not kid ourselves. Jay benefited greatly from Big's death. Biggie was in Jay's 1st two video's from his debut album. Biggie was the biggest artist in both of those videos. The Golden Road was laid out by Biggie and Jay just walked right on it after he passed. Jay's whole album blueprints from Vol 1-up have used Big's formulas. I don't even need to bring up his debut in which Biggie was the Biggest rap feature on the album. The Bottom line, Big's death left a void for Jay to fill. Big doesn't die, there is no void. Jay Z "Biggie I'll be multi Before I die". Yet it was Biggie that was already multiplatinum while Jay was dreaming of moving units. Like Said in 1997 at Big's Death, Ma$e was the bigger artist as well as NaS. Jay Z didn't become the Jay Z of today until Post Biggie.
    That ? still doesn't prove that Jay-z wouldn't have Been Successful if Biggie wouldn't have died....
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That ? still doesn't prove that Jay-z wouldn't have Been Successful if Biggie wouldn't have died....

I never said Jay wouldn't of been successful. He was rolling with Biggie so no matter what I feel Jay would of been successful. If Big lives, Jay is Big's right hand man and they are ruling the game together. But with Biggie's death, there was a void to fill in NYC and Hip Hop and Jay stepped right in. The reason I bring up his sales from Vol 1 to Vol 2 cause it was clear that Big's fanbase drifted towards Jay. Vol 2 would of probably went Double Platinum at best but you add in Biggie and Tupac's deaths, it sold 5 Million. There was a void, Jay filled it. Biggie doesn't die, there is no void. That's all I'm saying. Jay has earned his Legendary status on his own merits. Dropped his own Classic songs and Albums but there is a reason he cannot keep Big's lyrics and name out his mouth. He knows Big laid the real blueprint that he claims dudes are taking from him. Jay Z may be our only example of what Biggie's career may have been like had it lived. Serveral #1 albums, many business ventures and a locked down spot no the Forbes List year in and year out. Again, I love Jay, always had and always will but it's clear, Big's death really helped Jay's career.
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

pretty much

it would be interesting to hear what his style would be if he BIG didnt die tho
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I never said Jay wouldn't of been successful. He was rolling with Biggie so no matter what I feel Jay would of been successful. If Big lives, Jay is Big's right hand man and they are ruling the game together. But with Biggie's death, there was a void to fill in NYC and Hip Hop and Jay stepped right in. The reason I bring up his sales from Vol 1 to Vol 2 cause it was clear that Big's fanbase drifted towards Jay. Vol 2 would of probably went Double Platinum at best but you add in Biggie and Tupac's deaths, it sold 5 Million. There was a void, Jay filled it. Biggie doesn't die, there is no void. That's all I'm saying. Jay has earned his Legendary status on his own merits. Dropped his own Classic songs and Albums but there is a reason he cannot keep Big's lyrics and name out his mouth. He knows Big laid the real blueprint that he claims dudes are taking from him. Jay Z may be our only example of what Biggie's career may have been like had it lived. Serveral #1 albums, many business ventures and a locked down spot no the Forbes List year in and year out. Again, I love Jay, always had and always will but it's clear, Big's death really helped Jay's career.

How u figure jay would have been BIGS right hand man? It ain't like jay was signed 2 bad boy or everywhere u seen big u seen jay... big was on one song from reasonable doubt so it ain't really like he was riden bigs coattail while he was alive jay 5 times plat cause ? slept on R.D when it 1st came out and when they finally heard it they became a fan not cause "well since big gone jay was his mans let's just bump his ? ... u sayin how wasn't nobody checkin 4 jay while big was alive ? it was his 1st album when illmatic 1st came out who was checkin was nas? And plus big has the ultimate hip hop music mogul in puff who made sure big was out there and the radio was playin his ? so come on dude... and where u gettin this jay got his style from big cause I damn sure don't hear it
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2010
    Options
    How u figure jay would have been BIGS right hand man? It ain't like jay was signed 2 bad boy or everywhere u seen big u seen jay... big was on one song from reasonable doubt so it ain't really like he was riden bigs coattail while he was alive jay 5 times plat cause ? slept on R.D when it 1st came out and when they finally heard it they became a fan not cause "well since big gone jay was his mans let's just bump his ? ... u sayin how wasn't nobody checkin 4 jay while big was alive ? it was his 1st album when illmatic 1st came out who was checkin was nas? And plus big has the ultimate hip hop music mogul in puff who made sure big was out there and the radio was playin his ? so come on dude... and where u gettin this jay got his style from big cause I damn sure don't hear it

Jay was an unofficial member of Bad Boy. His whole 2nd album was produced by the Hitmen (Biggie's producers) and Puff was an excutive producer on the album also. Jay was on "Life After Death", "No Way Out" and "Harlem World" in 1997 all albums that outsold his career and then some at the time. Again Biggie was in Jay's 1st two videos on his debut. Biggie was co-signing Jay Z heavily before any major big stars were. "The Commission" was Biggie's project and would of came out before "Hard Knock Life" had Big lived. The Bottom line Jay Z was not that Big at the time of Big's death. One could even agrue DMX was Bigger than Jay cause his album sold more than Jay's career before "Hard Knock Life" dropped. NaS was going double platinum while Pac and Biggie were alive. I didn't say nobody was checkin for Jay but he wasn't getting checked for like that where as NaS and Ma$e were killing the game at the time. Biggie was doing everything to help Jay blow up before his death period.
  • biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I bet Jay would've been alright with being second to BIG. They were boys