The Official Biggie Vs Jay-Z Thread...

Options

Comments

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Rey ? wrote: »
    Kinda like Jay wanting the Rocafella name & Reasonable Doubt for himself? Taking all the artists from Dame when Jay knew deep down in his soul he wasn't gonna do ? for them...

Jay didn't take all the artist from Dame. They we're split down the middle. Jay only got Freeway and Young Gunz, and later Kanye. Dame got everybody else
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Funny thing about it..Lyor Cohen doesn't give a damn about Jay or Dame...or Hip Hop for that matter.
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    one album, the least profitable at that, out of all of Jay's album in return to keep running Roc-A-Fella and have Jay just walk away Jay knew that he had a better deal with the chance to make alot more money.....seems like the easier thing to do would have been to just give up the album rights...not like they were losing millions...I could see if Jay wanted the rights to Vol 2. or something...

It was all of theirs...not just Hov's...Rocafella was a bit more intimate than the typical artist-label relationship. It wasn't like Jay recorded an album by himself and handed it into a label to get distributed. Jay, Dame and Biggs was 3 New York hustlers who grinded together to get their company launched..
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Funny thing about it..Lyor Cohen doesn't give a damn about Jay or Dame...or Hip Hop for that matter.

worf to Lupe Fiasco............
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's so ironic how ? ride for Dame, when your man Beans on the MTV himself said Dame use to talk mad ? behind Jays back and he never heard Jay talk ? once.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited July 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It's so ironic how ? ride for Dame, when your man Beans on the MTV himself said Dame use to talk mad ? behind Jays back and he never heard Jay talk ? once.

Everyone knows Beans was heated at Dame about those business ventures that went belly up..so you know...
  • P. Town
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'll find the Oschino interview where he said himself that the artist that went with Dame didn't want to be with Dame, cause Dame had no distribution, nor a connect without Jay.
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    difficult one

i'm swaying towards puff cuz it was him who forced BIGGY to soften his music from horrocore to songs about females - which was alien to him

if big had his way he would never have made juicy

but then again Dame put in major work for Jay, ? literally begged and ? his his own reputation so Jay could be a success

also with the clothing line Dame put in the work and Jay benefited from it financially
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Beans tho u gotta take his word with a salt shaker
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Jay didn't take all the artist from Dame. They we're split down the middle. Jay only got Freeway and Young Gunz, and later Kanye. Dame got everybody else

? was like a Divorce. Jay was the rich dad with the nice house. Dame was the broke ass mama. Of course ? was gonna wanna go with Hov. He took Young Chris, Kanye, Freeway and Beans later on. If Jay kept it real with all those ? , "like yo, I really don't ? with yall, Im not gonna do ? for yall career besides Yeezy" ? would've stayed with Dame. Instead Jay played the fence and threw them ? the bait.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? was like a Divorce. Jay was the rich dad with the nice house. Dame was the broke ass mama. Of course ? was gonna wanna go with Hov. He took Young Chris, Kanye, Freeway and Beans later on. If Jay kept it real with all those ? , "like yo, I really don't ? with yall, Im not gonna do ? for yall career besides Yeezy" ? would've stayed with Dame.

Yeah..Jay should have kept it 100 with them..but you know how it is when you're afraid to share the spotlight and finances.
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Because he was too busy telling that ? to Lyor and Kevin...
  • P. Town
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? was like a Divorce. Jay was the rich dad with the nice house. Dame was the broke ass mama. Of course ? was gonna wanna go with Hov. He took Young Chris, Kanye, Freeway and Beans later on. If Jay kept it real with all those ? , "like yo, I really don't ? with yall, Im not gonna do ? for yall career besides Yeezy" ? would've stayed with Dame. Instead Jay played the fence and threw them ? the bait.

They didn't want to go with Dame, cause they knew without Jay, Dame was ? . If I'm one of them execs, you think after you done busted in my office, called me all types of ? and ? I'm gonna give a ? about you now when you trying to push anything other than Jay-Z? Yeah, maybe Dame screaming and yelling helped in the RD days, but after a while, it was redundant and Dame started to look like an attention ? .
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    difficult one

i'm swaying towards puff cuz it was him who forced BIGGY to soften his music from horrocore to songs about females - which was alien to him

if big had his way he would never have made juicy

but then again Dame put in major work for Jay, ? literally begged and ? his his own reputation so Jay could be a success

also with the clothing line Dame put in the work and Jay benefited from it financially

? keep underrating this point...
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    They didn't want to go with Dame, cause they knew without Jay, Dame was ? . If I'm one of them execs, you think after you done busted in my office, called me all types of ? and ? I'm gonna give a ? about you now when you trying to push anything other than Jay-Z? Yeah, maybe Dame screaming and yelling helped in the RD, Vol.1, Hard Knock Life, Vol.3, Blueprint days, but after a while, it was redundant and Dame started to look like an attention ? .

Fixed that for you my ? .....
  • usmarin3
    edited July 2011
    Options

Dame was far from broke and he had DDMG. Last time i checked Jay put out Bleek and Young Gunz album first as Def Jam President and they flopped, he probably used up a lot of credit and reputation putting his artist first. That's when Rihanna and Neyos career took off, Def Jam/L.A. Reid probably told him ? Bleek and Young Gunz, and i doubt he would put his rep on the line for some ? who flopped.

Truth of the matter is none of them ? outside of Cam, Jay, and Kanye are stars. They over achieved imo by even selling gold.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It was all of theirs...not just Hov's...Rocafella was a bit more intimate than the typical artist-label relationship. It wasn't like Jay recorded an album by himself and handed it into a label to get distributed. Jay, Dame and Biggs was 3 New York hustlers who grinded together to get their company launched..

I can understand the nostalgic value, but this is business, no room for that when you talking millions of dollars...one album for Jay albums 2-7...seems like a simple choice...it's like some of ya'll dislike Jay so much there's no blame at all being placed on Dame...Dame had no distribution so there was no reason for any artist to be with him anyway after Rocafella broke up...there was nothing to be stolen from Dame or Biggs because they all got their equal split when Rocafella disbanded...and the artist Jay took with him he put out, they just didn't do ? (Young Gunz 2nd album, Bleeks 534 album both flopped and were terrible) and outside of Cam'Ron and Kanye nobody ever went platinum anyway on the ROC so it's not like they could say "Jay ? our albums up" cuz them ? never sold anyway before the split

edit: outside of Jay, Cam'Ron, and Kanye
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited July 2011
    Options
    They didn't want to go with Dame, cause they knew without Jay, Dame was ? . If I'm one of them execs, you think after you done busted in my office, called me all types of ? and ? I'm gonna give a ? about you now when you trying to push anything other than Jay-Z? Yeah, maybe Dame screaming and yelling helped in the RD days, but after a while, it was redundant and Dame started to look like an attention ? .

But he still sacrificed his reputation..even in the event of the execs thinking he was being an attention ? .
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I can understand the nostalgic value, but this is business, no room for that when you talking millions of dollars...one album for Jay albums 2-7...seems like a simple choice...it's like some of ya'll dislike Jay so much there's no blame at all being placed on Dame...Dame had no distribution so there was no reason for any artist to be with him anyway after Rocafella broke up...there was nothing to be stolen from Dame or Biggs because they all got their equal split when Rocafella disbanded...and the artist Jay took with him he put out, they just didn't do ? (Young Gunz 2nd album, Bleeks 534 album both flopped and were terrible) and outside of Cam'Ron and Kanye nobody ever went platinum anyway on the ROC so it's not like they could say "Jay ? our albums up" cuz them ? never sold anyway before the split

edit: outside of Jay, Cam'Ron, and Kanye

no...i just see through the ?

I've called Dame an arrogant ? 15 times in the this thread. I just hate that Jay has the world thinkin he did no wrong to the people he came up with...
  • usmarin3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why are people talking about this ? 8 years later though, people don't even talk about Death Row like this. I guess because Dre came out on the better end of the ? unlike Dame.
  • Rey Negro
    edited July 2011
    Options
    But he still sacrificed his reputation..even in the event of the execs thinking he was being an attention ? .

? just dont get that point....so imma let it go.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited July 2011
    Options
    no...i just see through the ?

I've called Dame an arrogant ? 15 times in the this thread. I just hate that Jay has the world thinkin he did no wrong to the people he came up with...

Exactly how I feel about it as well.

Dame was the quintessential ? and regardless if those execs liked it or not.
  • P. Town
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This is what Dame Dash did...

dame-dash-dance-o.gif
    dame-dash-dance-o.gif
    dame-dash-o.gif
    damon-dash-big-pimpin-o.gif
  • P. Town
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Not saying he wasn't a great businessman. Just not how ya'll try to make him seem.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options

seeing as how plenty of people have made it in the music industry w/o acting like Dame Dash did couldn't it be said that somebody as smart as him should've figured out a better way to go about his business and realize that the people he was cussing out on a daily basis he still had to have interactions with...that ? adds up after a while and makes people simply not want to deal with you...there's a time to go into beast mode and there's a time to handle things in a professional manner...Dame didn't either didn't know or didn't care where that line was...he chose to act like that Jay-Z didn't make him...