The Africa you dont see on T.V. (Warning may be shocking)

Options

Comments

• Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Dr. Funky's grand dad.

DSC01419_kirtan.jpg

lmao!!!

• Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    Did you know that some people outside of the United States dont know that the United States has slums, ghetto's, and trailer-park's?? They think we all live in big houses with green lawns.

Hell, people in NYC don't even know there's ghettos in Upstate New York lmao Your statement is very true.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    america has it's poor but it has a welfare system

slowly but surely that is being removed from America. Mark my words, in 20 years there will be no safety net.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options

PB040059.jpg

thats a cool ass picture
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sankara wrote: »
    Bus,
    You don't seem to understand. My dude hrap did not intend in any way to portray africa as some sort of utopia. What he intended to show was a side of africa that is rarely shown by the white-owned media which IMO is all good. Africa like all continents has its share of problems but its in a unique position in that its the least understood and most misunderstood continent. And the negative perceptions the west holds (about it) has a direct effect on the way they treat africa and africans.

And Step,
    Read up on Paul Kagame, Thomas Sankara, John Garang and Samora Machel - all of who did more for their people than Gaddafi did

i agree my initial approach was too harsh. why anyone would praise gaddafi is beyond my understanding.

he thinks an instigator like gaddafi who recently said Nigeria should split into two is an honorable person? are these the kind of heros Africa should have.
    nice username by the way.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sankara wrote: »
    Bus,
    You don't seem to understand. My dude hrap did not intend in any way to portray africa as some sort of utopia. What he intended to show was a side of africa that is rarely shown by the white-owned media which IMO is all good. Africa like all continents has its share of problems but its in a unique position in that its the least understood and most misunderstood continent. And the negative perceptions the west holds (about it) has a direct effect on the way they treat africa and africans.

Thats basically what I gathered from this thread as well.
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    slowly but surely that is being removed from America. Mark my words, in 20 years there will be no safety net.

that's if the small government conservatives get their way. the safety net should stay.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    that's if the small government conservatives get their way. the safety net should stay.

Western New York is flooded with small government conservatives. For example, Carl Paladino SMH
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Western New York is flooded with small government conservatives. For example, Carl Paladino SMH

lol isn't that the dude that was exposed as a racist, yall must have bad luck over in buffalo
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol isn't that the dude that was exposed as a racist, yall must have bad luck over in buffalo

yep, tell me about it. The funny thing is, its actually 2 cities over here, and the smaller one, (where I live) has more political corruption in it PER CAPITA than the larger one!! LMAO!! However the racism rate STAYS at maximum level. SMH
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    oh, and for people complaining about corruption in Africa, we got corruption in white political structures in America too. My city hall was wrapped up in POLICE DO NOT CROSS tape for MONTHS last year, AND I even have the pics. AND its all white corruption.
  • JQUEENS21
    JQUEENS21 Members Posts: 228
    edited April 2010
    Options
    oh, and for people complaining about corruption in Africa, we got corruption in white political structures in America too. My city hall was wrapped up in POLICE DO NOT CROSS tape for MONTHS last year, AND I even have the pics. AND its all white corruption.

I am not saying it in the direction of you, but in general. Who voted every year since they were 18 years old?
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    JQUEENS21 wrote: »
    I am not saying it in the direction of you, but in general.

I know. lol Im just throwing some counter arguments out there. (shrugs) Dont mind me. :o
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Good thread.

Instead of taking trips to Islands you can't pronounce I personally think people should take a trip to Africa. Not only will change it an individuals belief and view on the rest of the world but it will show you how people appreciate life, opportunities and education. I've been to a good 5 countries in Africa and its not like what World Vision or what the rest of these crackas portray it to be. Step up your travel game people!
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i agree my initial approach was too harsh. why anyone would praise gaddafi is beyond my understanding.

he thinks an instigator like gaddafi who recently said Nigeria should split into two is an honorable person? are these the kind of heros Africa should have.
    nice username by the way.

Maybe Nigeria should split in two......the Muslims kind of want their own land, while Christians want separation from them, the violence between the two has been out of control at times. Splitting Nigeria in two wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Good thread.

Instead of taking trips to Islands you can't pronounce I personally think people should take a trip to Africa. Not only will change it an individuals belief and view on the rest of the world but it will show you how people appreciate life, opportunities and education. I've been to a good 5 countries in Africa and its not like what World Vision or what the rest of these crackas portray it to be. Step up your travel game people!

Just curious, what are the best countries you have visited in Africa? And how much would it cost to go there?
  • fkdmr
    fkdmr Members Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why is Afrika always spoken of as a country? I still don't get it.

Good thread idea but poorly executed. I rather see the beautiful NATURE of Afrika, including my country, instead of concrete buildings and areas similar looking to European and American countries. Uniqueness attracts.
  • fkdmr
    fkdmr Members Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just curious, what are the best countries you have visited in Africa? And how much would it cost to go there?

It depends on what you'd like to experience...
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Maybe Nigeria should split in two......the Muslims kind of want their own land, while Christians want separation from them, the violence between the two has been out of control at times. Splitting Nigeria in two wouldn't be a bad idea.

I really wouldn't want Nigeria to split in two, maybe i'm biased because i'm Nigerian. I have a feeling separation wouldn't solve the problem considering the middle-belt of Nigeria is an hot mixture of christians, muslims and animists. Education is the key to shaking the shackles of religious fundamentalism in Africa.
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    fkdmr wrote: »

Good thread idea but poorly executed. I rather see the beautiful NATURE of Afrika, including my country, instead of concrete buildings and areas similar looking to European and American countries. Uniqueness attracts.

why do you want to see pictures of zanzibar and madagascar? we want to see some skyscrapers!!!!!!
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Most people with intelligence watched the videos that were posted that showed the NATURE of Afrika but some idiots just skimmed through some pictures and made an ignorant assumption that this is only concrete buildings & skyscrapers. Ignorant.

If you have some pictures/videos of the beauty that you speak of please feel free to share them, if not be gone.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I really wouldn't want Nigeria to split in two, maybe i'm biased because i'm Nigerian. I have a feeling separation wouldn't solve the problem considering the middle-belt of Nigeria is an hot mixture of christians, muslims and animists. Education is the key to shaking the shackles of religious fundamentalism in Africa.

Depends on what type of education. Nigerians are probably the most " Educated" group of black people on the earth outside of Black Americans. They are also probably the most ambitious. I think part of the problem is a miseducation as highlighted in Things Fall Apart, and another thing is Africans have a bad habit of identifying with their tribe rather than their commonness. This helps ferment division. One thing we can learn from White people is they knew that in order for them to survive and thrive they outgrew their tribal affiliations.

Ghana has Muslims and Christians that live side by side, children play with each other and they get along well.

Let me guess? Nigerian. Possibly from the Housa Tribe? In some circles that would make you one of those Housa ? .

.............................................big-grin-745406.jpg
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well thats the africa i see on tv i mean they portray different sides the big cities, the nature,coasts, savannah, the wars, the poverty, etc. last time i saw some ? about the nigerian movie industry
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Well if you wanted to see that then you should have probably watched the videos posted. They highlighted the natural beauty of the continent as well.

129157248772116741.jpg
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Depends on what type of education. Nigerians are probably the most " Educated" group of black people on the earth outside of Black Americans. They are also probably the most ambitious. I think part of the problem is a miseducation as highlighted in Things Fall Apart, and another thing is Africans have a bad habit of identifying with their tribe rather than their commonness. This helps ferment division. One thing we can learn from White people is they knew that in order for them to survive and thrive they outgrew their tribal affiliations.

Ghana has Muslims and Christians that live side by side, children play with each other and they get along well.

Let me guess? Nigerian. Possibly from the Housa Tribe? In some circles that would make you one of those Housa ? .

.............................................big-grin-745406.jpg

i'm impressed you actually know about the book things fall apart. it's hausa not housa.

we are ethnic groups and not "tribes" (are you from the african american tribe?). I'm yoruba if you really want to know.
    by education, i don't mean hoarding degrees, i mean a reorientation of the Nigerian Mindset that breeds ethnic and religious fundamentalism.

it's hard to see past religion when youare hungry, angry, poor and illiterate.