The Africa you dont see on T.V. (Warning may be shocking)

Options

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    i'm impressed you actually know about the book things fall apart. it's hausa not housa.

we are ethnic groups and not "tribes" (are you from the african american tribe?). I'm yoruba if you really want to know.
    by education, i don't mean hoarding degrees, i mean a reorientation of the Nigerian Mindset that breeds ethnic and religious fundamentalism.

it's hard to see past religion when youare hungry, angry, poor and illiterate.

Ethnic group, Tribe, same thing. That was just a Euphemism made up by Europeans to make something sound good because tribe has a negative connotation. A tribe is a branch out of the same people. They are divided based on custom, language, and other traditions. But no matter how you slice it, its still a bunch of bros gang banging and set tripping over ? .

I feel you on the religion, but that is not always the case. The two greatest examples over the last few thousand years of Unity and elevation happened within a religion context. The Jews and Arabs. The Arabs from the 8th to 14th Century became the leaders in many fields of meaningful endeavor. The Jews history is well documented.

You seem suprised that I read Things fall Apart. I bet if you polled most on this board who hae issue with your view, they have probably read it. That was arguably the most influential book on shaping Blacks in the Diaspora view on the current African Quagmire.

BTW, I got one of those Obasanjo hats from a Yoruba brother as a gift. What are they called?

One thing I respect about Western African leaders is the fact they wear their National Dress when meeting other heads of state.

471397703_d08247c96e.jpg

Stylish Garments. Shoes is ? though. WTF?!? Fisher Price my first Stacey Adams.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just curious, what are the best countries you have visited in Africa? And how much would it cost to go there?

Kenya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Uganda, Sudan and South Africa. It all depends on how long you visit would be.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited April 2010
    Options
    do not hate on obasanjo's shoes, nice attire but a cunning politician.
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kenya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Uganda, Sudan and South Africa. It all depends on how long you visit would be.

i don't know about visiting Uganda. what happened to west african countries and places like madagascar
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

The Sudan? Are you serious??? Isn't there a big war going on over there right now?
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i think he meant places like khartoum. you obviously shouldn't be going anywhere near darfur or southern sudan
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    Im going to be posting some videos of Afrika/Alkebu-lan countries, however I must warn you in advance that these images and depictions may shock you.:eek: I was inspired to make this thread after hearing a racist policeman tell a little Afrikan-American girl who was riding her bicycle in the street to "Get out of the friggin' street, you wanna act like you're in a jungle you can go back to Africa".... I was deeply disturbed but came to the realization that most people are ignorant to the beauty of the continent of Africa and her many different cultures and countries.

There are 33 different countries on the continent

Through my research I learned that African countries like Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, and Libya, Botswana, and South Africa, are ranked by World Bank as having some of the best GNI & PPP in the world. Due to oil production Angola also has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Afrika has 90% of the worlds cobalt, 90% of its platinum, 50% of its Gold,98% of its chromium 70% of its tantalite, 64% of its manganese and one third of its uranium and the Congo has 30% of the worlds diamond reserves.

I ain't gonna lie. I probably would have laughed my ass of at the bold. ? like that is more funny than offensive to me.

Anyway, this is a real good thread. I think we all know that the common perception of all of Africa being one war ridden disease infested uncivilized wasteland is ? , however, I have to admit that some of the pictures in this thread were surprising. Africa has some flat out beautiful cities it seems.
  • one_manshow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i don't know about visiting Uganda. what happened to west african countries and places like madagascar

I've never visited West Africa and I know countries like Nigeria, Ghana and Ivory Coast are nice since a couple of co-workers have done internships there.

The Sudan? Are you serious??? Isn't there a big war going on over there right now?

Sudan is a big country there are certain regions that don't have a war or conflict going on. Don't become another muppet who is brain washed by the media there many peaceful regions.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sudan is a big country there are certain regions that don't have a war or conflict going on. Don't become another muppet who is brain washed by the media there many peaceful regions.

Come on man, let's be real, any country that has an internal war going on is not the best place for a vacation even if th ere are relatively peaceful regions in that country. Sure most of the bad action is happening in Darfur, but that doesn't mean it doesn't spill over into other regions too.
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Come on man, let's be real, any country that has an internal war going on is not the best place for a vacation even if th ere are relatively peaceful regions in that country. Sure most of the bad action is happening in Darfur, but that doesn't mean it doesn't spill over into other regions too.

you also should consider the threat of kidnapping as an american
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I´ve been to The Sudan and have some comrades over there, I can guarantee you that can travel though most of the country. In fact the last 5 a 7 years places like khartoum have been under construction on a positive manner I might ad . Before I went and the Americans still had most of the rsource contracts the conflicts were much worse people say. Which is why I believe it gets negative/overreacted media attention and political pressure of the ICC and US: because China took over most of the contracts, nobody a flying ? over here when the conflicts were at their worst and hundreds of thousands actually died(when the US still had the cointracts and bashir wasn't even pres)

My rant earlier n this thread mght have reeked of hate, but the threadstarter is an intolerant and extremely ignorant ? that doesnt know jack about the ? he posts, he is a racist ? , I dont give a damn about my moulay-king but his grandfather stood up to ? and said ? you, all people are the same over here(during a time when apartheid still ruled in a lot of places in the world including their foolish concepts of race etc) , and thats ´africa´ for ya± unity through diversity, hatng on other peoples looks is pathetic hrap. Busayo however does know what he s talking about but has lost overview and or insight in what is truelly right and just, he does not realize that you don´t have to pick sides and ? goes beyond being christian or muslim etc, he probably experienced injustice a lot in Nigeria and therefore has a real bitter and critical view . And Step is a fella that claims to have been to the continent but still believes in the illusionial American concept of race, he lets those illusions blind his vision and experience making him prejeduiced where ever he goes, kinda pathetic to talk about history of morocco and black people, when what we call black people in morocco rule(d) the region. Don't pretend as if you know the maghrib son, or as if 1 person can talk for us all lol. Go study hebrew more, you will eventually realize what the star on the flag means and why so many hebrews stay in the maghrib eventhough israel tries to make them move.

It´s hard to take cats seriously who post pics of ? they have never really been to or truelly experienced. Every one knows that you should experience and feel the matter/been there. If you are one of those guys that thinks the greatest continent on earth hasn t has riches and are enlightened by this thread, realize you lacked extreme insight in the world and probably would have reached the same enlightment when reading the morning paper while taking a ? , which is good because that means you have a lot to learn.

If you post pics out of hate or post pics of places you truelly have no idea about, ypu might as well post pics of north korea and pretend its south korea, because the intend/purpose/reality of the posts reek with illusions. Don't you dare think I actually care though lol.
  • h.haver
    h.haver Members Posts: 252
    edited April 2010
    Options
    All Africa is is a bunch of famine, STD's, and wars. Don't let these pictures fool you.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    h.haver wrote: »
    All Africa is is a bunch of famine, STD's, and wars. Don't let these pictures fool you.

RIIIIIGHHHHHT............that's ALLL Africa is about...........is that why there are over a billion people over there? If Africa was all these things, black people in Africa would have been extinct a long time ago. Something which won't happen, the black man and woman were the first human beings to walk this Earth, and we're still here............

Keep up your ignorance while Africa rebuilds itself. And for the record, Europe has had the most destructive wars in history. No war in Africa compares to WW1 and WW2. Read a history book ? .
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    *claps*

i just leaned about this in class. smh at the media only portraying africa as this war ton poor continent.
  • h.haver
    h.haver Members Posts: 252
    edited April 2010
    Options
    RIIIIIGHHHHHT............that's ALLL Africa is about...........is that why there are over a billion people over there? If Africa was all these things, black people in Africa would have been extinct a long time ago. Something which won't happen, the black man and woman were the first human beings to walk this Earth, and we're still here............

Keep up your ignorance while Africa rebuilds itself. And for the record, Europe has had the most destructive wars in history. No war in Africa compares to WW1 and WW2. Read a history book ? .

That's because you can only do so much damage throwing rocks and hitting the enemy with sticks.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    h.haver wrote: »
    That's because you can only do so much damage throwing rocks and hitting the enemy with sticks.

When Haiti and Ethiopia were beating back white devils, they used much more than rocks and sticks.....I don't think Napoleon backed down against a bunch of rock throwers, what do you think?

Either way, it's a shame you white people love to cause so much chaos all the time.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ...I don't think Napoleon backed down against a bunch of rock throwers, what do you think?
    it strikes me that Napoleon was mostly defeated there thanks to British and some Ottoman means, plus whatever drama was affecting him in Europe.
  • busayo
    edited April 2010
    Options

the thread is about Africa and not Europe though.
  • sankara
    sankara Members Posts: 33
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i agree my initial approach was too harsh. why anyone would praise gaddafi is beyond my understanding.

he thinks an instigator like gaddafi who recently said Nigeria should split into two is an honorable person? are these the kind of heros Africa should have.
    nice username by the way.

Preciate bruh. It aint everyday when a SL poster admits some wrongdoing,lol

I concur with u about gaddafi. Im thinking its either old age or he switched up his weedman. Its contradictory how he preaches african unity yet when it comes to nigeria, he wants it split

PS: Uganda's a nice place to visit. I was there like a month ago. Its just that the intermittent crisis in the north spoils the country's image. Its the same way inner city chicago can be a war zone at times yet its suburbs are pure bliss, ya dig?

Kingblaze84,
    When visiting africa u gotta ask urself what u want to experience. Is it culture, scenery, people etc? Each country has its own unique trait. IMO in terms of culture, Mali and senegal are the best. Worst thing is u have to know french. But i'd suggest Tanzania. Nice weather, cheap, warm and laid back people, good scenery, they speak english and its 1 of the most popular tourist destinations in africa.
  • one_manshow
    edited April 2010
    Options

You sound like a ? who was taking a nap in Geography class while the teacher passed around pamphlets about Africa. Go find out the size of Sudan and then come back and comment. There are many countries in Africa experiencing War and famine does that mean the whole country is corrupt because of one city? I won't even continue just do your research before you speak. The city of Khartoum is one that is nothing like Darfur its quite peaceful.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    classic thread. I appreciate it
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    fkdmr wrote: »
    Why is Afrika always spoken of as a country? I still don't get it.

Good thread idea but poorly executed. I rather see the beautiful NATURE of Afrika, including my country, instead of concrete buildings and areas similar looking to European and American countries. Uniqueness attracts.

The whole world has beautiful Nature, not just Africa. Western Civilization is a curse upon this entire planet, and if you look at google satilite, you can see how the major cities all over the world resemble cancerous scars in contrast with the beautiful natural land of the Earth.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good thread idea but poorly executed. I rather see the beautiful NATURE of Afrika, including my country, instead of concrete buildings and areas similar looking to European and American countries. Uniqueness attracts.

Because as far as whites are concerned a ? is a ? . There is no difference to them. And others just follow suit subconscious.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2010
    Options

That would have defeated the whole purpose of the thread. We all know about the natural beauty of the country. As was implied in the first post, most people only think of Africa as being war torn villages or the jungle/savannah wilderness. The whole point of the thread was to show that the continent has beautiful modern cities too. There is nothing wrong with modernization as long as there is an effort made to protect the natural beauty too.

Also, people ? me with the hating on western civilization. How are you going to get on the internet, a product of western civilization, and use it to bash western civilization? If you really hate western civilization, then you should log off and never get on again. I'm not saying western civilization is all good. I'm not saying it hasn't been a curse in many ways. It has, but let's not act like it's all bad, and let's not act like we all don't indulge in many of the things that are starkly western.
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Will you butt-puppies please stop arguing and post some pictures of some hot African chicks?? PLEASE??? Somalian, Ethiopian, etc.... That's a part of Africa that we don't see on t.v. either.

Thank you.