Iron Man 3

Options

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    As someone who hasn't read the comics or anything, the mandarin twist didn't bother me when I seen it.

but the more I think about it, the more that feels like this movie's biggest flaw to me. You could've literally replaced him with any "bad guy" and it would've filled the same role. it's just, arghh, that one part is really bringing the whole movie down for me in my mind.

exactly. & especially since we saw one of the dopest villains ever last year in bane & the trailers made it seem like it was gonna go the DKR route. bar was set high as ? & this movie was just "eh"
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They blew it with mandarin

And they blew the potential of AIM. They aren't no chumps of the marvel (avengers world). Really no shield vs AIM?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was good. But I do gotta agree with some of y'all tho. If I was to grade it compared to the other Iron Man movies, then I gotta give it a C+, or a B.

I think it could've been better. Especially the Mandarin twist. Hopefully the next Thor, Captain America, and AV2 movies will make that up
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so it seems like stark aint ? without the computer and the suit.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The Maderin is to Iron man/Tony Stark what the Joker is to Batman/Bruce Wayne.
    This is why the Plot Twist didn't work to me. You also advertised it as one Big Showdown with Tony and his arch nemesis and we didn't get that. Killien is a new character that introduce to Iron Man back in 2005. The Maderin has more history. Most fans let the changing of the race thing go but you could of atleast kept the rings and had Ben Kingsley and Tony in one badass final showdown. The Twist threw the whole movie off. Also if you are going to have the whole Extremis stuff with fire breathing and powers then adding Supernatural elements with the Maderin rings shouldn't of been an issue. I'm not even an comic book or Iron man fanboy but that twist was disrespectful to how much a villain THe Maderin is to Iron Man. If the Joker was changed drastically in Batman fans would riot so there shouldn't be a surprise there are fans upset with making Iron Man's biggest villain into a cheap plotline for laughs.

I only read the first line. So Tony
    never fought the Manderin?
    That ? ruins the movie for me period.

Spoilers Beware:
    Basically The Maderin is just an british actor ? playing a Bin Ladin like terrorist for the real villian a scorn scientist named Killian that Tony dissed on New Years Eve. Killian is basically a C-List villian in the Iron Man Universe that was recently introduced in an 2006 comicbook. The Maderin is nothing more than punchline in the movie. What's sad is I went with the whole Manderin Bin Ladin thing.

The videos were pretty cool and the commentary was good. I get that the whole actor thing is commentary on Bin Ladin and U.S. government conspiracy theories that there are people pulling the strings and I agree with that. But the Maderin isn't the character to do that with. They should of kept him a terrorist and had him using his Supernatural Rings against Tony. Killian shouldn't of been the central figure in the movie. War Machine should of had a bigger part instead of been a damn token. RDJ shouldn't been a detective on some buddy cop lethal weapon ish and should of been in his damn suit more.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    ^How did I guess the part in the spoiler from the trailer? I know some people who don't know nothing about Ironman who likes it, but being a fan and knowing about the Mandarin it seems like I won't get what I expected and what was advertised from the trailers.

The Trailers and the Posters were completely Disingenuous about The Manderin. They made it like he was going to go Ham on Tony. Look at what Each Manderin Ring Does and tell me that wouldn't of translated well on Film, it would of been so sick to see Tony fighting aganist this:

Mandarins-ten-rings-570x558.jpg
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt they could do ALL of those rings they'd probably have to switch it up alittle bit and make it alittle more technology based but the way the trailers played with mandarin bringing those missles to his front door and putting that door and everything else on top of him thought ? was about to get real smh that was a bad twist man
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    I seen the movie online...I definitely agree with a C+ or B- grade...glad I didn't pay for it.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As someone who hasn't read the comics or anything, the mandarin twist didn't bother me when I seen it.

but the more I think about it, the more that feels like this movie's biggest flaw to me. You could've literally replaced him with any "bad guy" and it would've filled the same role. it's just, arghh, that one part is really bringing the whole movie down for me in my mind.

that mandarin ? had me like

tumblr_mdqnupgc501rfmwumo1_250.gif

it wouldn't have bothered me either if it was any other character they pulled that ? with but to the fans that was a backhand to the face....you can't base most of the advertising around stark vs mandarin and then not deliver lol,also they virtually ignored guy pearce's presence in the build up completely.

i like shane black but i hope he doesn't do anything with marvel again.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there's too much ya'll ? wanted to see all ? added in the movie and you got 4 hour long movie.....aint nobody got time for that long ass ? .....overall a good movie
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theres no way they were going to put a character with magical rings in the Iron Man movie anyway. That ? would only work in an Avengers movie...
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats a website to watch that on i aint paying for this ?
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you ignore Avengers then the movie is better. I fear there will be a dull sense in the grand scheme of all these movies until the movies right before the next Avengers comes about. The villains and plots in the movies before then will be dwarfed by the success of AV1 and the expectation of the AV2.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    will the next incredible hulk movie drop before avengers 2? I hope so
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there's been no announcement for it, so I doubt it. They've already got dates set for the next 3 or 4 movies, no mention of Hulk.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iron Man one of my favorite characters. haven't really read many comic books but I know enough about his story line to know they didn't do him justice. Killian was new to me but the they did ? over the Mandarin. Reason why I liked the twist because it was entertaining but from the source material they dropped the ball.
    When they ? up his crib i just knew they were about to go to war but nope!
    The whole bin laden/terrorist story could've worked much better since they didn't wanna do the magic thing.
    I really don't understand their reasoning behind not wanting to do that. Is it because of costs bc they should be pushing the boundaries with the movies and staying true to the comics.
    i feel they do too much trying to explain why things are instead of just letting them happen.
    The audience wouldn't need to know why the rings are magical if they took that route, just do it.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    there's been no announcement for it, so I doubt it. They've already got dates set for the next 3 or 4 movies, no mention of Hulk.

their were a couple hulk movies out (with different actors as hulk) and it's already a really known character i guess marvel didn't bother making a new one.

i grew up with my uncle and we watched the old hulk tv show almost every damn day.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They could have just left the Manderan out and went with the Beetle if they were not going to have him be a true threat and the main villain.I mean you cannot blame anyone for expecting the Manderan to actually br a bad ass when that is what the advertisements were centered on.That would be like Superman not fighting Zod and it turns out Mixlplick (sp) is the real villain.
  • rapmastermind
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Theres no way they were going to put a character with magical rings in the Iron Man movie anyway. That ? would only work in an Avengers movie...

Magic Rings? No doesn't make sense. Fire breathing superhumans that produce fire and grow limbs. Now Yes that can be in an Iron Man Movie. lol. No it wouldn't only work in an "Avengers" movie. The whole plot for "Iron Man 3" deals with Tony not being able to handle the new worlds and beings he saw. "IM3" was basically the sequel to The Avengers anyways. Nobody saying he would use the rings all the time. Probably in the ? against Tony. Instead they ruined the character for cheap laughs. Sorry they dropped the ball. That plot point is as bad as the Superman with a baby from "Returns". It will go down as one of the worst things that happen to comic character on the Big Screen. Plus let's not get into how every previews sells a big showdown with Tony and The Manderin.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There will be no more hulk movies, marvel execs already said that loud and clear. Thank Edward norton for that
  • big_chris67
    big_chris67 Members Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Iron Man 3 was some hot ass garbage!!!
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a rare sort in that I like knowing the details of a movie before I go and see it. The rationale being is that movies cost too ? much to not get an investment on your return. From what I read, I would pass on I3[/i, but my New Year's Resolution was to see every movie that caught my interest and with the exception of some indy ? , I've seen every major release that I wanted to catch. I'm just trippin off on how varied the responses to this movie are, here on the IC the reactions to Iron Man 3 range from (in a Mad Rapper voice,) It's "iight, it's cool." "? is garbage. Then I go to this site http://www.hisstank.com/forum/movies-dvd-television/240350-iron-man-3-a-4.html, ? are using words like "great." Question, how can a movie be great, if The Mandarin, isn't the main villain?

Here's some comments:

I'm really torn. It's a good movie bordering on great, but the action wasn't all that.

As a giant raging comic book nerd, I can completely understand some of the disappointment some folks are having with certain things: The big twist potentially ruins a character, and of all the Marvel movies so far besides Iron Man 1, this one feels the most removed from the rest of the Cinematic Marvel Universe. There are far fewer easter eggs and "world building" things going on here.

However, on the latter part, I can't help but see that as a good thing. One of the major complaints from some corners where the first string of Marvel movies were concerned was that all of them except Iron Man 1 felt like 2-hour commercials for the Avengers. If they can make their franchises successful on an independent basis, it's better for the long-term health of the MCU. Where the "twist" was concerned, yeah it potentially ruins a character but at the same time gives us a -fantastic- performance from a veteran actor.

But that still doesn't mean I wasn't a little bit disappointed at the general lack of Easter Eggs....

I thought it was great......loved what they done with it.wasnt crazy about the twist but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means.

Id say marvel and Disney are doing the jig......it has passed 700 mill worldwide already.well on course to join Avengers in the billion $$ Club.also 2nd biggest opening ever in the U.S. too.

enjoyed it overall. No real complaints other than perhaps the end credits easter egg being more of a foundation for Avengers 2.

I enjoyed the story structure more than the previous 2 films. I felt like we always knew more than Tony in IM & IM2. With IM3 we're learning things as Tony learns them so it makes for a more enjoyable ride this time around.

I was hoping for more time in the suit. When we got to the Skydive saves and the final battle, all that pent up excitment waiting for Tony to do heroic things in the suit paid off. Those were two excellent scenes.

Can we talk spoilers here? I will but with invisotext (highlight to read).

I'm fine with the Mandarin being a junkie stage actor. Marvel Studios were never going to use the 10 rings as presented in the comics so to have Tony battle an ordinary terrorist is anti-climatic. Plus it saves Ben Kingsley from having to do action scenes and gave him some nice lines to chew on.

Making Aldrich Killian the main bad guy and using Extremis was a great move. I don't think the comic audience wanted another Mech on Mech battle, especially after the lackluster execution of the last 2 movies final battles.

One thing I didn't like is how curing Pepper of Extremis was just a side note. I was rather surprised they injected her (Gweneth is quite an action star!) and I was excited at the prospect of seeing her cope with Extremis.

Dudes I think dudes on Hisstank "be" liking ? for the sake of "liking," ? . Afterall, some of these muthafuckas thought Rise of Cobra was a dope movie. I'm not that familiar with Iron Man, (it's a title that I've always wanted to read, but never got around to,) but to have this major change to his arch nemesis, seems like Hollywood, doing their usual, "I-can't-get-my-wack-ass-idea-greenlit-on-its-on-so-I'm-going-to-use-"x"-movie-as-a-vehicle-to-my-wack-ass-idea-to-the-big-screen."

Isn't changing The Mandarin, analogous to making The Joker a sane college professor? I'm like y'all, even though I haven't seen the movie, I was led to believe that Tony would be fighting The Mandarin from the trailers and the commercials, and for him not to fight The Mandarin is a ? without a handy ending.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Of all the blockbusters I was looking forward to seeing this summer, believe it or not this was on the lower half of the totem pole despite all the hype. Call it intuition or whatever but something told me in my gut it wasn't gonna live up to the hype. Glad I didn't get all worked up for it cause I woulda been quite disappointed like alot of others. Me and my boy were talking about that after credit scene and I said to him it was pretty much indicative of the entire movie. It was chuckle worthy but at the end of the day it was kinda like that's it? I waited around for that? It was weird because I found myself fairly entertained throughout the movie but never at any point was I really enthralled or found myself lost in the movie. It had it's moments (the plane save, final battle, etc), had a lot of chuckles but overall it was pretty standard fair. And I'm not even a big Iron Man comic fan but I knew immediately that Mandarin twist wasn't gon sit well with a lot of die hard fans. As has already been mentioned they could have used any plethora of throwaway characters to pulled the same twist. Why use one of Tony's main rogues and reduce him to comic relief? They seemed more concerned with being funny than telling a great story. Better than IM2 but not even close to the first IMO.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Magic Rings? No doesn't make sense. Fire breathing superhumans that produce fire and grow limbs. Now Yes that can be in an Iron Man Movie. lol. No it wouldn't only work in an "Avengers" movie. The whole plot for "Iron Man 3" deals with Tony not being able to handle the new worlds and beings he saw. "IM3" was basically the sequel to The Avengers anyways. Nobody saying he would use the rings all the time. Probably in the ? against Tony. Instead they ruined the character for cheap laughs. Sorry they dropped the ball. That plot point is as bad as the Superman with a baby from "Returns". It will go down as one of the worst things that happen to comic character on the Big Screen. Plus let's not get into how every previews sells a big showdown with Tony and The Manderin.

Well, the fire-breathing superhumans that can regrow limbs were technology-based (Extremis). To have a character with magical rings, ? that some Harry Potter ? . LOL! But yeah, they misled everybody with Manderian in the previews - they did the same thing with Wesley Snipes in the previews for Brooklyn's Finest.