Mark Cuban: "If I see a Black Kid with a Hoody and it's late at night, I'm Crossin the Street..."

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What he said doesnt have to be classified as out and out racist it was ignorant as ? wrapped in racial anxiety... and because it is a norm for others to feel like this in regards to us.. ? accept it..

Oh Michael Eric Dyson will be on at 11 on first take... he will leave no stone unturned...
    Waits...
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I run into this problem often in my field...
    a cop will straight up say that he thinks blacks are criminals and need to be harassed, and mafuckas will straight ignore it and say "nah he aint racist tho"...
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    feelings everywhere.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Stephen A needs to be checked.. not called a ? or sellouts but hit him on the points we raised not sure if anyone hit him with the difference of a man in a hoody to the not so normal tattoos on face

Cari Champion actually specifically asked him about that comparison after he went on his initial rant.
  • blackrain
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    DWO wrote: »
    dude is saying "yes i'm a racist, yes i am prejudice.... but here's why"

and ? is going

Tumblr_m432dk3xAQ1rpprijo5_r1_400-1-.gif

he makes an excellent argument

not really. you mean to tell me you have never seen a group of black guye and new they were trouble.

also if black people agree its prolly cause we racist to. how many time you seen a white guy in a suit and assumed he wasnt a criminal. its the same thing.

It's not about seeing a group of people and whether or not he think's it's trouble. He just proved that in his mind he agrees with the stereotypical image of black male+hoodie= potential robbery. A hoodie means it's cold/chilly not a potential robbery is about to happen 98% of the time. Anyone whose face you can't see at night would cause someone to be more aware whether they're black, white, green or purple. There's no need to inject race into that and he did it needlessly.

black folks are ? dumb. So nevermind the fact that he said if he saw a white guy with tats on his face, his crossing back to the street with the black dude and the hoodie huh?

Now a hoodie means its cold and chilly, nevermind the fact that we know a hoodie, baggie jeans and tims perfect the grimy look that we all seen in the hood and in rap videos.

Now every ? in here trusting every ? in the world

You ? are not being wise nor real about this whole thing. Which is unfortunate, because black folks don't know which fights to pick. This ? is minimal as ? .

Like you ? trusting a ? in 2 am in a damn hoodie. Or a white dude with tats on his face. FOH

Nobody said trusting everyone in the world. For one, everybody wearing a hoodie ain't walking around in baggy jeans and timbs too. Not everyone wearing a hoodie is wearing it in a suspicious way. There's a bunch of different types of hoodies. Which ones are the ones causing him to be fearful? He took a situation and tried to make a generalization when it's a situation that needs specific factors in order to be considered dangerous he left out. Simply seeing someone in a hoodie shouldn't be enough to invoke fear. If he had simply said "anyone suspicious I'm looking to cross the street" that's one thing. To specifically say "a black kid in a hoodie" qualifies a good portion of black males because hoodies are pretty common in every day life. Yes to the avg, everyday person a hoodie just means it's cold because the vast majority of us ain't out here robbing people. Hell forget Mark Cuban, who in general is normally out here walking around at 2 am like that's some normal ? to begin with? He took an abnormal situation and tried to apply normal logic to it. That doesn't work
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Yup just seen that she didnt really challenge him on that..enough to the point where he had to account for his reasoning

and he diverted the convo to "professionalism"

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    relevant/irrelevant

interesting nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlUtZ5F_Mk

• Meta_Conscious
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    relevant/irrelevant

interesting nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlUtZ5F_Mk

who gives a ? ?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and ? is going

not really. you mean to tell me you have never seen a group of black guye and new they were trouble.

also if black people agree its prolly cause we racist to. how many time you seen a white guy in a suit and assumed he wasnt a criminal. its the same thing.

It's not about seeing a group of people and whether or not he think's it's trouble. He just proved that in his mind he agrees with the stereotypical image of black male+hoodie= potential robbery. A hoodie means it's cold/chilly not a potential robbery is about to happen 98% of the time. Anyone whose face you can't see at night would cause someone to be more aware whether they're black, white, green or purple. There's no need to inject race into that and he did it needlessly.

black folks are ? dumb. So nevermind the fact that he said if he saw a white guy with tats on his face, his crossing back to the street with the black dude and the hoodie huh?

Now a hoodie means its cold and chilly, nevermind the fact that we know a hoodie, baggie jeans and tims perfect the grimy look that we all seen in the hood and in rap videos.

You ? are not being wise nor real about this whole thing. Which is unfortunate, because black folks don't know which fights to pick. This ? is minimal as ? .

Like you ? trusting a ? in 2 am in a damn hoodie. Or a white dude with tats on his face. FOH

Smh

So a white guy wearing a hoodie with no ? tattoes out walking late at night is nothing to fear, but a random blk person wearing a hoodie out late at night is more than likely a person up to no good?

U realize that is what cuban is essentially saying right? Lol

• playmaker88
    Options
    White people version of racism is synonymous with someone calling someone a ?
    For the most part....

? you cant even say the word jew...

That last sentence sharp said was poignant

Context
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    again..

he's trying to justify his prejudice by saying

"so you telling me if you see a black person with a hoodie on at 2am you not gonna be scared?"

it's an absurd statement to validate an offensive point of view....

i'm not even offended forreal, cuz the ? 's ridiculous... but i 100% believe that he should be called out on it, i see no reason why he should get a pass..if he lost his team i would find it hilarious...
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    relevant/irrelevant

interesting nonetheless

who gives a ? ?

Every black person that is offended by the Donald Sterlings,Mark Cubans,etc

I can elaborate further if need be.

edit.
    @playmaker88 "gets it"

but just in case,the clip is NOT about Sharpton himself
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Michael Eric Dyson

First take now
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and ? is going

yeah pretty much
    smh @ "now"
    like the hoody was only created to be worn during criminal activity
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    relevant/irrelevant

interesting nonetheless

who gives a ? ?

Every black person that is offended by the Donald Sterlings,Mark Cubans,etc

I can elaborate further if need be.
    do it.

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dawg everything is racist now
  • playmaker88
    edited May 2014
    Options
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not watching First Take the question one needs to as to Mark Cuban is this " In all your years in life, has a black kid in a hoodie ever did something to u?"
  • blackrain
    Options
    Yeah Michael Eric Dyson is going in on First Take...and it's an actual discussion not a shouting match
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Michael Eric Dyson and Stephen A Smith in the same room?? My brain can't handle all that unnecessary verbiage....

Oh and its another person that SaS conjures never put that together till now

Martin
    George Jefferson
    Now Michael Dyson

• playmaker88
    Options
    Exfuckinxactly at Michael Eric Dyson
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Brilliant flip of the broken window theory