X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Options

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Bolivar Trask seemed like a self hating mutant to me. Like he couldn't accept those that are different because he resented being born different himself.
    Funny how the movie completely avoided addressing the fact that he was a midget. There may have been one vague refer to his height but the idea that this midget would have a agenda against mutants as a way to compensate for his shortcoming went unacknowledged. Not sure how I feel about that missed opportunity. On one hand, it's cool that they didn't go with an obvious sub plot but on the other hand, it was so blatant that it almost seems ridiculous NOT to point it out.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bolivar Trask seemed like a self hating mutant to me. Like he couldn't accept those that are different because he resented being born different himself.
    Funny how the movie completely avoided addressing the fact that he was a midget. There may have been one vague refer to his height but the idea that this midget would have a agenda against mutants as a way to compensate for his shortcoming went unacknowledged. Not sure how I feel about that missed opportunity. On one hand, it's cool that they didn't go with an obvious sub plot but on the other hand, it was so blatant that it almost seems ridiculous NOT to point it out.

You feel it was a missed opportunity that the movie didn't dwell on a non-issue? That seems a little silly. We know Trask's motivations for what he was doing, and it had nothing to do with resenting his stature. So why should they have focused on that? Trask was a midget because they liked Dinklege as an actor and wanted him for the part. Trying to force the fact that he's a midget into the plot would have been as dumb as hiring a black actor to play a character and then forcing race into the plot.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw this last night was pretty good the actors for magneto band proffesor x definitely did their thing as well as jennifer lawrence. The beast costume looked a lot better than in first class andddddd I feel some type of way about those future fights man lol. I will call ? on logan surviving drowning though foh lol.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good to see them all back at the end though and the new shades look tough for the boy cyc.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

Yea, I questioned the issues with Trask as a character throughout the movies as well a couple pages back, but there is no real explanation. And yea, his reasoning for wanting to destroy all mutants because he "admired them" never really made sense either.

This movie is the The Dark Knight Rises all over again. Entertaining and by no means terrible, but there are obvious, glaring problems and inconsistencies that people are going out of their way to overlook or somehow justify because of expectations or whatever. Its just easier to admit that the movie is far far from perfect to me. *shrugs*
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet the sents return. Like that theory about the creek. If its meant to be, its meant to be.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    one thing i noticed was that if a power is used against one sentinel, it "transmits" that data/power to the other sentinels, so they all have adapted to the power and can use it that instant. each individual sentinel didn't have to be attacked by every power to adapt.

an example would be when Sunspot used his power against one sentinel, and Iceman was freezing another, the frozen sentinel adapted to Sunspot's attack and broke free of the ice.

if that holds true, them mutants are ? in the future

Except that they're not because the event that lead to that future is prevented.

Beast mentioned the ripple effect of a stone being thrown into a river. No matter how you break up the flow of that river, it's still headed in the same direction. Meaning, it ALMOST doesn't matter what they do in the past to change the future, their deaths by being hunted by sentinels is eminent.

Look at how every time they go back and forth in an attempt to erase a dark future, they always end up in a dark future; except for the end; but who's to say something won't lead up to the same dark future with a different cast of characters.

iron man1 wrote: »
    I will call ? on logan surviving drowning though foh lol.

Isn't it believed that even drowning Logan may not be a way to ? him? He's afraid that it may be the way, but he's always avoided trying to find out. And the movie showed that drowning him doesn't work.

Someone told me, or I read some place that the only way to ? him is to decapitate him and separate his body and head on two different parts of the globe; to be sure that his body doesn't regenerate or reattach the head.

The whole thing with Kennedy being "one of us"/mutant is a stretch. I don't think Kennedy was a mutant, I think he was an advocate for mutant rights, and Magneto accepted him for his belief.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    one thing i noticed was that if a power is used against one sentinel, it "transmits" that data/power to the other sentinels, so they all have adapted to the power and can use it that instant. each individual sentinel didn't have to be attacked by every power to adapt.

an example would be when Sunspot used his power against one sentinel, and Iceman was freezing another, the frozen sentinel adapted to Sunspot's attack and broke free of the ice.

if that holds true, them mutants are ? in the future

Except that they're not because the event that lead to that future is prevented.

Beast mentioned the ripple effect of a stone being thrown into a river. No matter how you break up the flow of that river, it's still headed in the same direction. Meaning, it ALMOST doesn't matter what they do in the past to change the future, their deaths by being hunted by sentinels is eminent.

Look at how every time they go back and forth in an attempt to erase a dark future, they always end up in a dark future; except for the end; but who's to say something won't lead up to the same dark future with a different cast of characters.

What every time? this is the first time they went back to fix a dark future and the dark future was prevented. Do not make the mistake of thinking this movie adheres to logic in the comic book. They are 2 completely different universes with their own approaches and rules. The movie is the movie and the comic book is the comic book. If you want to talk about the comic book universe you could just go to Quite Comical.

Now while it's possible that sentinels could still exist in the future of this movie timeline obviously they didn't exist by the time of the new 2023 where everyone is still alive. Furthermore because Mystique is no longer captured her DNA would not be used in the sentinels meaning they won't have the adaptive powers in the first place and will not be the same kind of threat you assumed they would be.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

Why did you cast Peter Dinklage?

Bryan Singer: I’m a huge fan of his. Station Agent, Game Of Thrones, I admire his work. There’s also something interesting about his size and how that pertains to the notion of someone who views, who understands... I’m sure he went very underestimated throughout life. He comments on it, I don’t know if it’ll be in the final picture, but he says I was underestimated, so do not underestimate these creatures, and then an incident occurs and the mutants are revealed.

There are elements of the government that knows about mutants from the incident in Cuba but it’s very underground, secretive CIA stuff and what arose from Cuba is Trask, who became this government-backed character who was leading the charge in experimenting on mutants and studying them and ultimately designing a way to make them humanity’s adversary.
    Do you have a sense of why your character does what he does? Do you have a back story for him in your head?

Peter Dinklage: He has a chip on his shoulder, definitely. They do address my size a little bit - no pun intended - there's a 'need to prove myself' element to Trask that's really a good, complicated thing to play. Not too much, though - he's always the smartest man in the room, so he doesn't have to prove himself too much.

Seems like they at least flirted with the notion.
  • geechiedanbuford214
    geechiedanbuford214 Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was garbage truck juice....str8 boo boo smh
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's a prepubescent kid in that scene that's what they are saying in the youtube comments. didn't ya'll say dennis haysbert should voice apocalypse or have that role? I hope apocalypse will be cgi like thanos with a good voice actor.

Micheal Clark Duncan (? rest his soul) was the PERFECT person to play Apocalypse.

James earl Jones in his crucify him voice
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    None of the previous movies happened. You could still enjoy them of course but the events of those movies don't mean ? within the internal canon of the film series, not even Singer's. He basically did what comic books do all the time and rebooted within an existing continuity.

He was smart enough to wipe the slate clean so that he could retell the story without any creative limitations in the future. Now he could fill in that 50 year gap between the events of this movie in the 70's and it's ending however he wants because the timeline we see at the end is an alternate one to the one portrayed in the previous movies.

Just like with JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. In other words they are not creatively handicapped by the events of the previous movies and could do whatever they want for here on out which is the smart thing to do if you want to breathe new life into the series. That way you could tell fresh X-Men stories and not be predictable because everybody in the audience "knows how things turn out in the future". That includes even introducing Wolverine to the team in the 90's in a future sequel and not the year 2000 like previously established and making Angel one of the original X-Men.

So in your view now even First Class and the 70s scenes from DOFP may not have happened?

First Class and the sections with that movie's cast in this one are the exception since it's obviously the genesis of this new timeline. Just look at Mystique's arc for example. She is now being molded into the anti-hero role she has had in the comic books for a long while now. As opposed to the blatant villain that she was in the first 3 movies.

But you know how FC completely blatantly contradicted details from every other movie in the series? well people no longer have to ? about that because those details are invalid in the continuity now anyway.

Alright. I was going to say if you mean since the ? future didn't happen, Logan couldn't have really been sent back to do ? and if he did, it makes no sense he'd leave them and get caught up with Department H so Wolverine:Origins and everything after couldn't have happened, I was going to see where you went with that because honestly I think most of that complex stuff would go over the head of the casual audience, they'd just know X3 couldn't have went down the way it did since Jean and Prof X were alive.

Most people will understand with future movies when the stuff they thought they knew no longer pans out that way. Of course sci-fi and comic book fans would get it even quicker than they that which is how I completely understood what happened before I even walked out of the theater.

The time travel trope is clear enough by now in that regard when it comes to the narrative language. There was no need to blatantly spell it out when they were nuanced enough in delivering the same message. It thankfully didn't insult the audience and expected them to be sharp enough to keep up. For that I give them credit cause not many big budget movies do that anymore.

Time travel stories always have paradoxes but I'll explain it as easy as I can. You see how in Back to the Future Marty McFly leaves his ? present and comes back to an ideal future that is nothing like the one he left? that's the same way Wolverine's consciousness left the ? future that happened after the trilogy and came back to the one he now exists in.

Their interference in the past created a new branch on the tree of time. Parallel but different from the branch they intially left. An alternate path was created and the future they returned to was within that alternate path and not the one they initially left.

Oh, I get it, it's the future with changes since Jean is still alive, but to appreciate that you have to understand the bond they had in the previous movies. So there is still the time between DOFP's rewrite and X-Men they can tap into using the first class cast but it does seem like X-Men has happened, if not X-2 and definitely not X-Men 3: The Last Stand. But the insistence Wolverine would remember it all even if noone else did would have precluder Wolverine from the ? he got involved in Wolverine:Origins, he'd have forgot everything due to the amnesia bullet that happened in DOFP and still ended up at the start of X-Men with a foggy memory until X-2.

I don't know if you read comic books and if you do if you're familiar with DC Comics. In the 80's they had a story called Crisis on Infinite Earths that basically rebooted their entire universe. But even with that happening there was one character that remembered the previous DC Universe while still existing in the new one created at the end of that story. His name was ? Pirate and Jackman's Wolverine is basically the ? Pirate of this film series now.

Obviously he feels a special way about Jean because of what he remembers. However in her mind their bond was triggered a completely different way than how it played out in X-Men - X-Men: The Last Stand. Which is why Professor X tells him that he has to fill him in on the details of the past 50 years because they have played out differently from what he knows.

I get it. But does he need to fill him in from the time he got hit with the bullet or did Logan not have that happen and not forget at all? I do hope they explain that part, maybe as part of a montage in the credits of the next movie, because if this is that kind of reboot then gaps need to be filled.

I never saw Origins so I don't know when he was supposed to be shot. But any events after 1973 in this movie never happened. Seeing Mystique as Stryker pick up Wolverine instead of the real Stryker himself doing the deed to trap him within Weapon X also pretty much tells us that his history has now been altered just like everything else. It's just that he will still remember everything else on top of the new history he's being filled in on.

seeing how Stryker didnt get him and mystique did how does wolverine get his adamantium claws in this universe after the time change? He had bone the whole movie
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Either mystique saved him or has other plans for him
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope movie but yea i was wondering at what time frame does Wolverine get his real claws. And it was fluke that he didn't drown. But I guess his lungs regenerate too. And watching this ? made me fell sad how they ? up Rogue's character. She should have been in on these movies.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't feeling it, wack movie.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Yeah it would've made more sense for the Sentinels to have needed Rogue's DNA considering she can actually adapt other people's powers. If I'm not mistaken, Mystique can only mimic other people's powers, not actually use them.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rogue scenes were cut
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you read one of the the links posted in the last couple pages, the writer says the rogue subplot was going to be getting a serum or some ? and taking kitty pryde's place with the time traveling power thing after kitty got injured. they cut it.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Yeah it would've made more sense for the Sentinels to have needed Rogue's DNA considering she can actually adapt other people's powers. If I'm not mistaken, Mystique can only mimic other people's powers, not actually use them.

Yea, the whole plot had too many holes in it. The reasoning behind Bolivar Trask being arrested made absolutely no sense also I don't recall trask being a midget in the comics. They overpowered quicksilver as if he can stop time.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it had anything to do with him being a midget more so the fact they liked him as an actor.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    I don't think it had anything to do with him being a midget more so the fact they liked him as an actor.

Why was quicksilver listening to "time in a bottle" but time slowed down yet it's playing in real time on his walkman in suspended time.

I don't want to spoil the rest of the movie so I'll put them in a spoiler.
    Why would mystique morph back into herself in front of a whole camp at the end. Why is she walking around butt naked in the whole film while in the comics, she wore a white dress.

Why send Wolverine in the 1970s to find Xavier and Magneto when they were enemies in order to find Mystique who is ? -knows-where when they could have sent him just a few years earlier when Mystique was with Xavier AND Magneto and all of them where in the same Mansion and all friendly to each other and thus more prone to diplomacy?

Why not go back in time to simply ask Xavier to Jedi-? Bolivar Trask into liking mutants and destroying his sentinels in secret instead of just stopping Mystique from killing him? Doesn’t look like a full long-term solution. Hell, if Wolverine could convince Xavier to stop using his drugs, they wouldn’t even need Quicksilver to free Magneto from the Pentagon.

Wolverine needs to go back in time to stop the Sentinel program that started in the 1970s even though the sentinel program was never seen nor mentioned in the last films that covered the 1960s through the early 2000s.

Wolverine lost his adamantium claws in the film The Wolverine and has them magically back on in the future. Did Magneto cover his bone-claws with new adamantium?

If Mystique can change her body mass to adapt to any form like Tyrion Lannister with a porn stache, why doesn't she always fight as a 7-foot-tall UFC fighter every time she has to punch people?

Why didn’t the U.S. Senate buy the Sentinel prototypes for other types of war? They might not feel mutants are a threat, but as far as we know it’s still the Cold War and I’m sure the United States Army would love to have unmanned killer-robots in the 1970s to fight communism. There is simply no way Trask’s awesome war invention would not have been bought by the American government.

Why didn’t Magneto simply use his robots to ? everyone at the White House in front of the camera crews to establish that using robots is a bad idea, completely shut-down the Mutant fear and never exposing himself? Flying with a baseball stadium is pretty cool too but a lot less logical and a lot more dangerous for him.

These directors are stretch armstronging this movie around wolverine but it makes no sense and it's disgusting.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another case of its just a movie. Common sense doesn't make for a good story
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you ? saying a movie about people with magical powers and shat isn't realistic and full of story lines that don't make perfect sense?!?!?!? Oh the horror.