Changing America - What Does the Rise in Interracial Relationships Really Mean?

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

You both raised valid points and I believe I understand your points of view but answer me this:

If race mixing should be avoided because their off spring may renounce their Blackness and subscribe to white supremacy

And immigration from Latin American nations is a threat because the immigrants will contribute to our oppression by identifying as white and contributing to white supremacy

then shouldn't our efforts and energy be focused on thwarting white supremacy? Without white supremacy none of these things are a threat any longer. In the long run I'm not interested in which women ? decide to bust inside of.

Race mixing is one of the condensations of white supremacy by fighting race mixing you fight white supremacy.

? no it's not. The ? or any other white supremacist group ain't out here advocating race mixing. White people are as alarmed by race mixing as you are because their birth rates are declining in part because of it.

My friend their are black white supremacist. The greatest battle against white supremacist is amongst black people. And when I say race mixing is the condensation of white supremacy I mean it's the result of all the affects white supremacy has on the minds of black people. It's basically cultural suicide.

I'll concede that if an entire generation were to have their offspring with another race then it would be cultural suicide, but at the moment we're talking about roughly 4% according to the last census. Asian - Americans are marrying whites at a muuuuuuuch higher rate. It's hardly worthy of too much attention IMO

I said cultural genocide not physical it could be less than 4% all that is needed for cultural genocide is enough blacks to give up the idea of being black and embrace this mixed identity.

There have been whole books and documentaries made about yellow fever. It gets lots of attention just not from blacks
  • zombie
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

You both raised valid points and I believe I understand your points of view but answer me this:

If race mixing should be avoided because their off spring may renounce their Blackness and subscribe to white supremacy

And immigration from Latin American nations is a threat because the immigrants will contribute to our oppression by identifying as white and contributing to white supremacy

then shouldn't our efforts and energy be focused on thwarting white supremacy? Without white supremacy none of these things are a threat any longer. In the long run I'm not interested in which women ? decide to bust inside of.

All those things are branches of white supremacy...more so if a lot of racemixing happens then black people in north america will fall victim genocide/swallowed whole by the bigger population just ask the natives.

Natives weren't ended because of large scale race mixing they were ended due to outright warfare,slaughter, and disease. All of which are more pertinent dangers to us as a people today than race mixing.

Outright warfare (War on Drugs, propaganda in the media)
    Slaughter (police brutality, police impunity)
    Disease( lower access to healthcare, lower life expectancies)

I know...but racemixing aided all the above.

Not in British controlled territories

I am Jamaican you are wrong colorism helped the british keep a hold on Jamaicans in fact colorism power really just died down in Jamaica a few decades ago.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    both sides of the debate have good points

however, one thing that is for certain is interracial marriage will only increase
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    bigev240 wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Trashboat wrote: »
    How is the amalgamation of Whites and Blacks not going to siphon some of that systemic power from the former group into the latter?

It eventually creates a new group that power does not transfer to black folk.

They don't understand this though.

Very Basic example:

Wealthy or rich black man marries white woman. Man dies leaves all his wealth to white woman and mixed kids. Black wealth now in the hands of a white woman who is going to make sure her white family benefits off that black mans money not his black family. Mixed kids raised with alligence to whites by their white mother.

How does this benefit black people again?

So what about the opposite?

Rich white man marries black woman with the same scenario?

Great for us black as people especially if that white man actually set his wealth up to be distributed that way in case of his death.

But you and I both know more black men marry white women than white men that marry black women.

As far as the kids go they are still going to crave and want that white side of the family who has always shunned them and shown them nothing but the backs and gave them their ass to kiss.

Mixed kids see who is in power and how this country works. They get ? cause they half-white but barely get any of the benefits of being 50% white yet see their parent who is white reap those benefits. So many will do ? against black people to show white people that are a part of them and what and need that white acceptance which they will never fully get. They are like heroin junkies chasing that first high feeling which they will never get again.

Good topic to discuss. My question is do you see that same issue if the kids are half black and half hispanic?

I'm Black and Latino and I've always identified as black first. I am proud of my Panamanian heritage, but I wasn't raised around it. My stepfather (whom I refer to as my true father) helped raise me since I was a few months and both him and my mother are black. I've traced my African lineage back to Nigeria and plan to do the same with my Latino side eventually, but it's much more difficult with me not being involved with that side of the family.

And I feel like most black/latino mixes recognize their black side. Think Fabolous, Juelz Santana, Noreaga, Lloyd Banks... Most people don't even realize or forget they're mixed until they show up at the Puerto Rican Day parade.

i don't think the product of a black latino and black american couple is racially mixed; different culture yes but both are from the Afro-diaspora
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

Race mixing is one of the condensations of white supremacy by fighting race mixing you fight white supremacy.

? no it's not. The ? or any other white supremacist group ain't out here advocating race mixing. White people are as alarmed by race mixing as you are because their birth rates are declining in part because of it.

My friend their are black white supremacist. The greatest battle against white supremacist is amongst black people. And when I say race mixing is the condensation of white supremacy I mean it's the result of all the affects white supremacy has on the minds of black people. It's basically cultural suicide.

I'll concede that if an entire generation were to have their offspring with another race then it would be cultural suicide, but at the moment we're talking about roughly 4% according to the last census. Asian - Americans are marrying whites at a muuuuuuuch higher rate. It's hardly worthy of too much attention IMO

I said cultural genocide not physical it could be less than 4% all that is needed for cultural genocide is enough blacks to give up the idea of being black and embrace this mixed identity.

There have been whole books and documentaries made about yellow fever. It gets lots of attention just not from blacks

Nooo it takes way more than 4% for cultural genocide. Like I said somewhere around of 30% of Asian born americans marry whites..they maintain their heritage and cultural ties just fine. Even the white-washed ones will still be able to tell you the basics about their ancestry. Most of them even take at least one trip in their lifetime to their ancestral homelands.

If we had a stronger cultural identity than race mixing would be a complete non-issue. We don't so it makes us vulnerable in more ways than one. I think the answer is to develop a stronger cultural identity.
  • Stiff
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

All those things are branches of white supremacy...more so if a lot of racemixing happens then black people in north america will fall victim genocide/swallowed whole by the bigger population just ask the natives.

Natives weren't ended because of large scale race mixing they were ended due to outright warfare,slaughter, and disease. All of which are more pertinent dangers to us as a people today than race mixing.

Outright warfare (War on Drugs, propaganda in the media)
    Slaughter (police brutality, police impunity)
    Disease( lower access to healthcare, lower life expectancies)

I know...but racemixing aided all the above.

Not in British controlled territories

I am Jamaican you are wrong colorism helped the british keep a hold on Jamaicans in fact colorism power really just died down in Jamaica a few decades ago.

Yeah you're right but I was speaking specifically in regards to native americans. The tactics to keep people controlled varied and the British didn't use those same strategies with the natives. They set up their "Civillized tribes" to divide and conquer but miscegenation was an insignificant factor to the demise of the Native Americans if a factor at all.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

Nooo it takes way more than 4% for cultural genocide. Like I said somewhere around of 30% of Asian born americans marry whites..they maintain their heritage and cultural ties just fine. Even the white-washed ones will still be able to tell you the basics about their ancestry. Most of them even take at least one trip in their lifetime to their ancestral homelands.

If we had a stronger cultural identity than race mixing would be a complete non-issue. We don't so it makes us vulnerable in more ways than one. I think the answer is to develop a stronger cultural identity.

I think you are somewhat looking at the problem short term though.

Out of that 30% asians who marry white how many of those mixed kids marry white also?

Same with that 4% of black people how many those mixed kids will marry non-black people?

That along with that 4% is the large scale problem. The continuation of marrying non-black people and producing children who will do the same and most will have no alligence to their black side down the line.

Our cultural is already not being taught in schools now in the home it is being split between both parents. That ? doesn't help us a people.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you look at slavery in french,spanish and english colonies they treated mullatoes differently. In Spanish,French colonies light skin folk never identified black. Matter of fact they were ashamed of their black side. In the US whites hated mullatoes as much they hated black ie one drop rule.

Malcolm X,W.E.B du Bois,Farrakhan,Huey Newton all considered themselves black.
  • Stiff
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

however, one thing that is for certain is interracial marriage will only increase

Agreed and the bolded is kind of what I'm getting at...

Instead of taking steps to fight this trend, we should take steps to ensure that the trend isn't harmful to our culture in the long run.

It's like instead of trying to stop earthquakes, it's better to build earthquake resistant structures.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These threads and any involving the generalization of mixed children amaze me. I realize that many may be confused but there are plenty of us who are not.

As a mixed adult I am not confused as to who I am. I am not blinded by what white America thinks of me and I am looked at as black by whites-not mixed. The one drop rule is in full effect at all times here, even within my own family.

If I state that I am mixed, black is always listed first.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Instead of taking steps to fight this trend, we should take steps to ensure that the trend isn't harmful to our culture in the long run.

It's like instead of trying to stop earthquakes, it's better to build earthquake resistant structures.

i feel you on that

but i also believe that the US will become the "Anglo-Saxon Brazil" like zombie says; also i don't think you can compare AfrAms to Asians/Arabs/Latinos because they have their own nations that will preserve their cultures/go back to if they wish

• Stiff
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

Out of that 30% asians who marry white how many of those mixed kids marry white also?

Same with that 4% of black people how many those mixed kids will marry non-black people?

That along with that 4% is the large scale problem. The continuation of marrying non-black people and producing children who will do the same and most will have no alligence to their black side down the line.

Our cultural is already not being taught in schools now in the home it is being split between both parents. That ? doesn't help us a people.

I think it's more likely that a child that's mixed with Black and white will themselves reproduce with a Black person than it is for a person that's mixed Asian and white to reproduce with an Asian. Like I said as of TODAY the one drop rule is strong as ever and there's not really evidence that it's weakening or going anywhere.

"Half a ? is a ? " as it was in the 1800s it is in 2015.
  • Stiff
    Options

i feel you on that

but i also believe that the US will become the "Anglo-Saxon Brazil" like zombie says; also i don't think you can compare AfrAms to Asians/Arabs/Latinos because they have their own nations that will preserve their cultures/go back to if they wish

I think the idea of American society coming to resemble Brazil is unlikely because the foundations of which contemporary Brazilian society is formed and that which American society is formed are too different. The Latin Americans that come here are going to be influenced more than they will do the influencing. I could be wrong though, time will tell.

At the bolded, this is absolutely true. In response I think Black people should be focused on strengthening our "Nation within the nation" to increase our own cultural identity, economic base, political capital etc. Our situation as a Diasporic people places us in an awkward position. It kind of ties back to the debate we had awhile ago about going back to Africa vs. staying here. Could we ever truly be at home in Africa vs. could we ever actually build anything meaningful here.
  • zombie
    Options
    The cultures of brazil and USA are not that far apart when it comes to blacks being oppressed and disadvantaged.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont really care personally. It is what it is.

Why even comment then
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options

i feel you on that

I think the idea of American society coming to resemble Brazil is unlikely because the foundations of which contemporary Brazilian society is formed and that which American society is formed are too different. The Latin Americans that come here are going to be influenced more than they will do the influencing. I could be wrong though, time will tell.

At the bolded, this is absolutely true. In response I think Black people should be focused on strengthening our "Nation within the nation" to increase our own cultural identity, economic base, political capital etc. Our situation as a Diasporic people places us in an awkward position. It kind of ties back to the debate we had awhile ago about going back to Africa vs. staying here. Could we ever truly be at home in Africa vs. could we ever actually build anything meaningful here.

I can agree with all of this but i'm just saying that in no way does miscegenation help us as a people economically, or even culturally.
  • zombie
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

I think it's more likely that a child that's mixed with Black and white will themselves reproduce with a Black person than it is for a person that's mixed Asian and white to reproduce with an Asian. Like I said as of TODAY the one drop rule is strong as ever and there's not really evidence that it's weakening or going anywhere.

That is not true actually look at the history for what it is and not mythology. Mulatto never occupied quite the same position as full blacks
  • Stiff
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

That is not true actually look at the history for what it is and not mythology. Mulatto never occupied quite the same position as full blacks

In America from Emancipation all the way until today mulattoes have never been any higher than full Blacks in the eyes of society. When they said one drop they meant that.

Now during Slavery? Sure there was a hierarchy but the end of slavery made that particular hierarchy obsolete. Jamaica had a different scenario than America.
  • Stiff
    Options

i feel you on that

I can agree with all of this but i'm just saying that in no way does miscegenation help us as a people economically, or even culturally.

Nah I'm not arguing that it helps. I'm just saying I don't think it's an issue. Based on the perspectives that y'all offered I think it exposes some vulnerabilities, but those vulnerabilities should be more of the concern than race mixing itself.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

i feel you on that

the only difference between Brazil and US racially is that over there (and throughout Latin America) race is a continuum and here there's a stricter hierarchy, the US has historically been a either white/black nation; interracial marriage and Hispanic/Asian immigration will lowkey eventually lead to an "American" ethnicity or "race"; it wont happen in our lifetimes but 100/150 years from now i think US will be filled with Adriana Lima types with dar skinned blacks/others at the bottom and Jews and whites at the top

i'm starting to think that the best case scenario would be the establishment of a "black" commonwealth in association of the United States (with Puerto Rico as the model) somewhere in the continental US; or immigration to black majority nations (DR, Haiti, the English-speaking Caribbean, or West/Central Africa). unless the black population grows substantially in the US i believe these are are options outside complete assimilation into white America
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

In America from Emancipation all the way until today mulattoes have never been any higher than full Blacks in the eyes of society. When they said one drop they meant that.

Now during Slavery? Sure there was a hierarchy but the end of slavery made that particular hierarchy obsolete. Jamaica had a different scenario than America.

You really believe that? Because statistically & economically they have the advantage, hell they can even assimilate better in the eyes of eurocentric society.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options

i feel you on that

I don't see that happening in the US.

in Brazil there was a big Country wide push to blatantly ignore the differences in race and the large African influence while simultaneously "whitening" up the country with European Immigration in an effort to push a multicultural equal opportunity agenda. It was seen as slap in the face to even assume that racial discrimination was prevalent.

Here in America …. we aint trying to hear that post racial society sh*t … And we never will..IMHO. The civil rights movement built such a large legacy for us. We discuss race everyday and within these last few years I'm seeing more of a black cultural awakening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see this happening in other countries in a such a large scale.
  • zombie
    Options
    Why are people acting like Brazil is mars
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

You really believe that? Because statistically & economically they have the advantage, hell they can even assimilate better in the eyes of eurocentric society.

obama-nobel-double-standards.si.jpg

Are people forgetting here the most powerful guy in the US is 'bi-racial'?

• zombie
    Options
    @zombie‌ and d. morgan

obama-nobel-double-standards.si.jpg

Are people forgetting here the most powerful guy in the US is 'bi-racial'?

And he has helped our black ass how exactly structural anti black racism is still here. Blacks took more LLL's under him than bush. No one man is fixing this ?