Cities that ur surprised are not bigger in the rap game

Options

Comments

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Yall keep mentioning kc, kc aint blowing up cause they aint bringing nothing new

The bay area already is a cult following outside the bay...who wants to hear a watered down wanna be bay area in the Midwest

That'll make more sense coming from seattle or Portland, not Missouri

I really don't agree with that because thats just the way a large part of the country communicates. you can say that about a lot of cities if you want to label a certain dialect "bay area" - denver, vegas, okc, omaha, etc...
    to pigeon hole a large part of the country as knock off bay area just because people from those areas have some of the same dialect is ignorant. now if it's the talent that you don't like or just the music in general thats ok because everyone is entitled to their opinion.

at the same time the work speaks for itself, Tech N9ne is one of if not the highest paid independent artist.
    and Rich The Factor has over 100 releases that all have done numbers regionally and he never wanted to blow up at all. There are some other artist who offer different content such as Irv the Phenom and C.E.S. Crew. Eminem was born in Kc, moved to st. joe when he was a kid then around jr. high moved to the D.

And no one knows anything about those Towns u mentioned...their culturally insignificant

N it goes beyond it goes beyond dialect. Around the time tge bay was tryna get that hyphy ? off the ground ud see guys in kc ridding around wit toy school buses n ? hanging out their cars Which they called scrapers at the time..if that ? didnt pick up steam outside the bay, why would it lift off from kc...that's all i meant

As far as tech is concerned..hes in a class all by himself...kc is where hes from...nothing about the way dude moves dresses or speaks represent kc cats...n im not knockin him for that either ijs

Look at st louis ...like it or not, nelly put them on the map nationally and internationally wit their own slang n style n sound....kc aint got something like that to offer last i heard..(aint up on recent ? tbh).but all it takes is one To blow..then hell dictate the sound of those behind him
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can add Miami into the mix,besides Ross the past couple of years and Trick Daddy late 90s early 2000s,who else we got?
    That's why i don't ? with Dj Penguin(Khaled)he do all that yelling 305 Dade County and when you look at them songs,he got like 100 of the same ? on every track not from Miami.
    I don't know if Ross or Trick looking at anybody down here,hell i might have to hop n the beat machine and make music my self and produce local artists
    Yea but Miami has had a long history of being on da map.

And Ross is damnly 10 yrs strong in da game. Not just a couple.

Cosign.

Heres something I always wondered; People on the IC always credit the Geto Boys for putting The South on the map as if 2 Live Crew never existed. When I was coming up in Boston we heard 2 Live Crew before we heard of the Geto Boys.

2 Live Crew came out in 1984 but I remember We Want Some ? which came out in 1987. The Geto Boys were originally called The Ghetto Boys. I remember seeing their records in stores but I don't actually remember anybody talking about them until after NWA came out. I think Gangster of Love was their breakout song, in Boston anyway.

This was the album that I remember people talking about in school. It came out in 1990;

R-233007-1235058788.jpeg.jpg
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Yall keep mentioning kc, kc aint blowing up cause they aint bringing nothing new

The bay area already is a cult following outside the bay...who wants to hear a watered down wanna be bay area in the Midwest

I really don't agree with that because thats just the way a large part of the country communicates. you can say that about a lot of cities if you want to label a certain dialect "bay area" - denver, vegas, okc, omaha, etc...
    to pigeon hole a large part of the country as knock off bay area just because people from those areas have some of the same dialect is ignorant. now if it's the talent that you don't like or just the music in general thats ok because everyone is entitled to their opinion.

at the same time the work speaks for itself, Tech N9ne is one of if not the highest paid independent artist.
    and Rich The Factor has over 100 releases that all have done numbers regionally and he never wanted to blow up at all. There are some other artist who offer different content such as Irv the Phenom and C.E.S. Crew. Eminem was born in Kc, moved to st. joe when he was a kid then around jr. high moved to the D.

And no one knows anything about those Towns u mentioned...their culturally insignificant

N it goes beyond it goes beyond dialect. Around the time tge bay was tryna get that hyphy ? off the ground ud see guys in kc ridding around wit toy school buses n ? hanging out their cars Which they called scrapers at the time..if that ? didnt pick up steam outside the bay, why would it lift off from kc...that's all i meant

As far as tech is concerned..hes in a class all by himself...kc is where hes from...nothing about the way dude moves dresses or speaks represent kc cats...n im not knockin him for that either ijs

Look at st louis ...like it or not, nelly put them on the map nationally and internationally wit their own slang n style n sound....kc aint got something like that to offer last i heard..(aint up on recent ? tbh).but all it takes is one To blow..then hell dictate the sound of those behind him

who was in kc riding in school buses?

and even if tech doesn't represent your average kc ? , what does that matter? he sells out shows and he has a lot of people who supports his music and merchandise.

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wit toy school buses hanging out car windows n ? , not driving actual school buses lmao..local regular ? when they took their cars out, not rappers

u right that doesnt matter, i jus mentioned that for the sake of my point of transporting local flava
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still think even though Chicago blew up with drill, the city as a whole is underachieiving
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wit toy school buses hanging out car windows n ? , not driving actual school buses lmao..local regular ? when they took their cars out, not rappers

u right that doesnt matter, i jus mentioned that for the sake of my point of transporting local flava

by your logic, style and dialect constitutes artistry, I know brothas who have the same outlook, just in reverse. I might be playing some rapper from philly, n.j., or boston. and they come with the same old, "aw you playing that new york east coast ? again", and they fail to recognize that every area brings something new to the table, and we all in this wilderness called north america anyway just relating our experiances.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just goes to show you the importance of having a signature production sound. Regions blow up whenever they're delivering a product thats characteristic and reflective of that area (chi=drill, Bay area=hyphy, Houston=Screw, etc.)...ATL keep relevant because they're constantly reinventing their sound.

And that's the problem. Rap has a really bad originality problem and most other cities put out derivative material of other cities. I see it here in Louisville. These ? have no identity as artists.

Until some of these other areas get innovative with their production they wont see any mainstream recognition.

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to be perfectly honest, I could really see the game double backing and the conscious/underground hip hop sound becoming popular again. If I was a NY or Detroit artist I'd be all over tryna catch that wave.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why y'all think certain cities never really popped off in da rap game? Cities like....

Little Rock
    Charlotte
    San Diego
    Indianapolis
    Baltimore
    D.C. (Wale put them on da map tho)
    Jacksonville
    Orlando
    Seattle
    Sacramento
    Dallas to an extent
    Phoenix
    Ect ect

Speak on it.

A.Dd+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90nk-J6HhM

Trip Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982PKhPsIHk

AnonymousCulture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt40ihx5Ooo

PiKaHsSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUlwlEmPDw
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad thing is being from Dallas you realize Dallas has ? who can really spit..... A LOT actually. It's just that the radio in Dallas will only play a local artist if they make a song with a song with a stupid dance with it. It's cool for the club, but in the long run it is why Houston blew up with it's rap scene while Dallas has done absolutely nothing. Hell there was an article I read a few months ago saying Dallas may have the best rap scene in thr country nobody talks about. ? is sad really.
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can add Miami into the mix,besides Ross the past couple of years and Trick Daddy late 90s early 2000s,who else we got?
    That's why i don't ? with Dj Penguin(Khaled)he do all that yelling 305 Dade County and when you look at them songs,he got like 100 of the same ? on every track not from Miami.
    I don't know if Ross or Trick looking at anybody down here,hell i might have to hop n the beat machine and make music my self and produce local artists

What long history? Luke,2 Live Crew,Poison Clan,JT Money,TrickDaddy,Trina,Ross,then you got 1 hit wonders liek Dirt Bag who was on a Monica song a while back.
    It haven't been no rapper from Miami in the 2000s who made it mainstream and im not talking these artist who music don't go past Palm Beach.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicago has no "sound" they Midwest ? mixed with the south with a touch of east coast
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Chicago has no "sound" they Midwest ? mixed with the south with a touch of east coast
    ? I thought Crucial conflict was from da south when I first heard them.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Sad thing is being from Dallas you realize Dallas has ? who can really spit..... A LOT actually. It's just that the radio in Dallas will only play a local artist if they make a song with a song with a stupid dance with it. It's cool for the club, but in the long run it is why Houston blew up with it's rap scene while Dallas has done absolutely nothing. Hell there was an article I read a few months ago saying Dallas may have the best rap scene in thr country nobody talks about. ? is sad really.
    Yea Dallas got some coo rappers.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Cosign.

Heres something I always wondered; People on the IC always credit the Geto Boys for putting The South on the map as if 2 Live Crew never existed. When I was coming up in Boston we heard 2 Live Crew before we heard of the Geto Boys.

2 Live Crew came out in 1984 but I remember We Want Some ? which came out in 1987. The Geto Boys were originally called The Ghetto Boys. I remember seeing their records in stores but I don't actually remember anybody talking about them until after NWA came out. I think Gangster of Love was their breakout song, in Boston anyway.

This was the album that I remember people talking about in school. It came out in 1990;

R-233007-1235058788.jpeg.jpg
    Probably cause Geto boys was on that gangsta ? and 2 live crew was on that, well u know. Lol
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento

These ? is trash, at worst. Mediocre, at best. I can't think if a single artist out of Sac that is/was really SPITTING.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

U maybe don't remember but I do.

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

He began producing for Rocafella in 2000.

Twista should have become a major player of the industry in 1997.
    I'm talking bout when he became nationally known which was in 03-04.

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
    Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

But really Bone just had that tongue twisting lane sowed up at that time.

Twista started the "tongue twisting lane".

When he first came out, his name was actually 'Tung Twista'.
    And 3-6 mafia/dj squeeky started crunk music but guess who had that lane sowed up???

U ain't saying nothing bruh.

Your post is not proving my initial claim wrong. My initial point is that the Chi was purposely held back by the hip hop industry, which seems to be a valid point when you look at the history. The East coast, West coast, & South blew the ? up in the 90s and early 2000s.

Why didn't Chicago...the most gangstafied city in the United States?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pikaso from Dallas and he dope as hell
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
    Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

And 3-6 mafia/dj squeeky started crunk music but guess who had that lane sowed up???

Your post is not proving my initial claim wrong. My initial point is that the Chi was purposely held back by the hip hop industry, which seems to be a valid point when you look at the history. The East coast, West coast, & South blew the ? up in the 90s and early 2000s.

Yall just didn't have the impact of a NY or LA rap wise. I like yall music, but I'm not everybody else. I can't get with the drill ? tho.

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I be listening to jamn 94.5 launchpad on Sundays after 10 pm and i know so many rappers here personally. We just don't support each. That's the problem. ? also dont know how to market themselves and do things outside their comfort zone. I think that one dude gonna blow up tho.
  • J.J._Evans
    Options

Yall just didn't have the impact of a NY or LA rap wise. I like yall music, but I'm not everybody else. I can't get with the drill ? tho.

You're not following what I've said in my posts. I'm not even talking about this drill music era. I'm talking about the many talented artists that were shut out in the 90s and early 2000s. For some strange reason, the East, West, and South given more opportunities that Chicago. The east had Bad Boy & others, the west had Deathrow & others, the South had No Limit, Cash Money & others.

It's still being felt to this very day. Name the major rap labels from Chicago.......
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

K.C. sounds nothing like the Bay. Especially from Rich The Factor.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options

You're not following what I've said in my posts. I'm not even talking about this drill music era. I'm talking about the many talented artists that were shut out in the 90s and early 2000s. For some strange reason, the East, West, and South given more opportunities that Chicago. The east had Bad Boy & others, the west had Deathrow & others, the South had No Limit, Cash Money & others.

It's still being felt to this very day. Name the major rap labels from Chicago.......
    That rapping fast ? was only gonna get Yall so far. The kids in this country just wasn't feeling y'all like me and u was feeling that sound.

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento

These ? is trash, at worst. Mediocre, at best. I can't think if a single artist out of Sac that is/was really SPITTING.

You want some lyrical ? , not street tales huh?
    T-Nutty bars

http://youtu.be/GHjezGnuHcY
  • J.J._Evans
    Options

That rapping fast ? was only gonna get Yall so far. The kids in this country just wasn't feeling y'all like me and u was feeling that sound.

Chicago didn't just have fast rappin ? like Twista.

You can't seriously believe that rappers from the Chi were less talented than Biggie, Snoop, or Lil Wayne.........Chicago artists were not giving the chances that those legends were given, so they faded away without ever being heard.