The Official NBA Draft 2011 thread

Options

Comments

• Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I seen Kyle Irving play a couple of times he can shoot pretty good and he got decent handles he not that quick didnt think he would go #1 but thats what the experts are projecting him. Has anybody seen him enough times 2 say he goes #1? Like I said I only seen him in a couple of games. Is he really that good or the draft really that weak?
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    I seen Kyle Irving play a couple of times he can shoot pretty good and he got decent handles he not that quick didnt think he would go #1 but thats what the experts are projecting him. Has anybody seen him enough times 2 say he goes #1? Like I said I only seen him in a couple of games. Is he really that good or the draft really that weak?

Irving sucks as a #1 pick. hes a decent shooter, decent passer, not an elite athlete like the last few pg's that went #1 and doesn't have nearly the same amount of potential imo.

and LMAO @ the Chris Paul comparisons.

This draft is weak for lottery teams, but after that theres gonna be alot of teams that can fill up their depth chart from players in this draft. Theres gon be a bunch of good seniors available at the end of the 1st round and in the 2nd round that can step on the court immediately and help a team win.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Irving sucks as a #1 pick. hes a decent shooter, decent passer, not an elite athlete like the last few pg's that went #1 and doesn't have nearly the same amount of potential imo.

and LMAO @ the Chris Paul comparisons.

This draft is weak for lottery teams, but after that theres gonna be alot of teams that can fill up their depth chart from players in this draft. Theres gon be a bunch of good seniors available at the end of the 1st round and in the 2nd round that can step on the court immediately and help a team win.

i think billy king might do some damage with the 2 picks the nets have were looking at
    Justin Harper
    JaJuan Johnson
    Nolan Smith
    Iman Shumpert
    Kyle Singler
    Josh Selby
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    i think billy king might do some damage with the 2 picks the nets have were looking at
    Justin Harper
    JaJuan Johnson
    Nolan Smith
    Iman Shumpert
    Kyle Singler
    Josh Selby

I would look @ these 2, shumpert especially is slept on. JaJuan needs to put weight on but he can be a good pick and pop guy that will make a mid-range jumper and block shots off the bench and the nets not only need stars but depth. Selby has potential but honestly he's still living off his high school hype because dude didn't do ? his freshman year. Add that to the fact that his workouts weren't that good towards the end and I wouldn't touch him. The fact that he was bold enough to come out after that dud of a freshman season shows how much he thinks of himself.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited June 2011
    Options
    1 of 3

Cleveland
    (via L.A. Clippers)

Kyrie Irving

Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 191 pounds
    School: Duke
    Analysis: There have been a lot of interesting theories floating around the past week about why Cleveland won't be taking Irving No. 1. I still don't buy it. The Cavs have been shopping Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions hard in the past week.

Williams is still in the picture here at No. 1 in part because the Cavs feel they could get a very good point guard (either Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker) at No. 4 ... but sources continue to stress that it's Irving's to lose.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota

Derrick Williams

Position: PF
    Height: 6-9
    Weight: 249
    School: Arizona
    Analysis: Still hearing that the Wolves are hoping they can get a great offer for the No. 2 pick. But if they don't they'll just take Williams and work out the rest this summer via trades. If they get Williams, Michael Beasley could be gone by the time next season starts.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah
    (via New Jersey)

Brandon Knight

Height: 6-3
    Weight: 177
    School: Kentucky
    Analysis: Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker are both possibilities at guard. Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas and Jan Vesely will also get a look here. The Jazz have a huge workout on June 15 when Walker and Jimmer Fredette are expected to work out for them.

Knight will come in at some point too, though he still seems to be refusing to work out with Walker or Fredette. While it's still possible the Jazz go big with this pick and select either a player like Kanter, Valanciunas or Vesely -- they're likely to try to select a franchise point guard if either Knight or Walker blows them away. If Fredette wins the battle on the 15th ... that could push the Jazz to go big here and try to nab Fredette with the 12th pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Cleveland

Jonas Valanciunas

Position: C
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 230
    Analysis: I've had Kanter in this position since Mock Draft 1.0, but it's time to make the biggest change I've made to our board. From what I gather, the Cavs appear to be cooling a bit on Kanter and warming to Valanciunas.

Vesely and Leonard are in the picture too and would both be good fits. But this may be the Cavs' only chance to draft a legit 7-foot center. Valanciunas is raw, but he has big upside.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Toronto

Jan Vesely

Height: 6-11
    Weight: 240
    Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of directions here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight is on the board, I think he doesn't get past here. If just Walker is here, the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

The Raptors could go with an international player such as Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the four, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington

Enes Kanter

Weight: 260
    Analysis: The Wizards know they aren't taking a point guard -- not with John Wall in the fold. So the questions are: Who's the best player on the board and what do they need? The Wizards are very high on Vesely, but in this mock he's off the board.

Kawhi Leonard is an option. He brings toughness, defense and versatility to a team that can use all three attributes. But the Wizards are really looking for rebounding help up front and Kanter is a very good fit here. He's tough, he isn't afraid to be physical and he has good size. Tristan Thompson is a dark horse here as well.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Kawhi Leonard

Position: SF
    Height: 6-7
    Weight: 228
    School: San Diego State
    Analysis: If the draft plays out this way, the Kings could go in three different directions. They could go with Leonard, who would help solve a major need at small forward or they could choose between Walker and Fredette at the point. We've had Walker in this position for weeks, but mostly because we've had Leonard off the board.

Fredette, as we've been writing for the past two weeks, is the dark horse here. The Maloof brothers love him and he's probably a better fit in the Kings' backcourt than Walker. If Leonard is off the board, Fredette could be the pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Kemba Walker

Height: 6-1
    Weight: 184
    School: UConn
    Analysis: For the past few weeks, we've had the Pistons taking Valanciunas, but with Valanciunas now going No. 4, it looks like the Pistons will be down to three prospects: Kemba Walker, Tristan Thompson and Bismack Biyombo.

Walker is the safe pick, though he doesn't actually fill a major need. Thompson has upside. And, from what I gather, the team is still very high on Biyombo. The Pistons know how to develop a defensive stopper like him and I'm told their trip to Spain to see him went well.

Still, at the end of the day, I think the Pistons draft the best player available, Walker, and look at moving Rodney Stuckey to the 2.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

Marcus Morris

School: Kansas
    Analysis: The Bobcats haven't been the greatest drafters the past few years. Michael Jordan is determined to change that. The thinking in Charlotte is to not take big risks. To go with a proven product. To aim at the double instead of the home run.

Morris, with his versatility, toughness and Kansas pedigree is a very good option. Klay Thompson, Chris Singleton and Jordan Hamilton are all in the mix as well.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee

Klay Thompson

Height: 6-7
    Weight: 206
    School: Washington St.
    Analysis: I think this pick likely comes down to Thompson and Alec Burks. They play the same position, but have different strengths. Thompson is a shooter, Burks is a slasher.

With the Bucks telling me pretty strongly that they're holding on to Brandon Jennings as their point guard, and with the team making a strong drive to get back in the playoffs, I think Thompson is a better fit.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

Bismack Biyombo

Weight: 243
    Analysis: Jerry West is a fan of Klay Thompson and would likely select him if he's still on the board. But if he and Marcus Morris are off the board, the Warriors could be the team that takes a chance on Biyombo. The team desperately needs to improve its defense, shot-blocking and rebounding. Biyombo has the tools to do that right away.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Chris Singleton

School: Florida State
    Analysis: We've had Singleton here for weeks and we're not moving him unless the Jazz draft a forward with the No. 3 pick. With Andrei Kirilenko heading into free agency, the Jazz are going to want a defensive stopper who can guard multiple positions.

Tristan Thompson, Jimmer Fredette and Alec Burks are all possibilities here too.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Phoenix

Alec Burks

Position: SG
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 193
    School: Colorado
    Analysis: The Suns are in that awkward spot between pushing for the playoffs and rebuilding. Lon Babby says the team will be emphasizing defense and Tristan Thompson could be a solid direction to go.

But if Burks is on the board, he may be very hard to pass up on. He has star potential if he ever learns how to shoot. With Vince Carter likely out of the picture in Phoenix, Burks also fits a need.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston

Nikola Vucevic

Height: 7-0
    Weight: 260
    School: USC
    Analysis: Could Vucevic really go this high? That's the word among a number of NBA GMs who are raving about his workouts. Some have argued that the differences between him and Enes Kanter are very slim.

With the Rockets in desperate need of some size in the paint, Vucevic could be the answer. He's not the world's greatest athlete, but he is skilled, has an NBA body and is ready to play now.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana

Jimmer Fredette

Weight: 196
    School: Brigham Young
    Analysis: The Pacers could go a number of different ways here, but for the third straight week I think Fredette will be their man. There's a good chance that Jimmer is off the board when they draft, but if he's here, he'll be very hard to pass up.

Tristan Thompson and Markieff Morris are all also serious options here as well if both are still on the board.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Tristan Thompson

School: Texas
    Analysis: Thompson could go as high as No. 5 or No. 6. But he also could slide. Just about every team I spoke to likes him a lot, but I've yet to find the team that's fallen in love. I doubt he slips further than this though. The Sixers need more size, toughness and rebounding. Thompson provides all three. Jordan Hamilton and Markieff Morris are also options here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New York

Marshon Brooks

Position: SG
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 195
    School: Providence
    Analysis: The Knicks are really hoping that either Klay Thompson or Jimmer Fredette fall to them. But if they don't, watch out for Brooks. He had a great workout in New York, has the sort of swagger that Knicks guards need and the Knicks were wowed by his ability to pass the ball too.

Brooks, at 22, doesn't have the upside of a guy like Josh Selby, but his size advantage is big and so is his ability to step in and play right away.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington
    (via Atlanta)

Jordan Hamilton

Weight: 229
    School: Texas
    Analysis: Hamilton is often compared to Wizards small forward Rashard Lewis. Both are big men with sweet strokes that can catch fire. But with Lewis on the back end of his career and the Wizards actively shopping him, I don't think the team will shy away from adding another scorer to put around John Wall.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte
    (via New Orleans)

Markieff Morris

Position: PF/C
    Weight: 241
    Analysis: The Bobcats have needs just about everywhere and Morris should be a good fit. He's strong, he's defensive minded, he rebounds and he blocks shots. He's a bit undersized to play the 5, but his ability to stretch the floor will be welcomed.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
    (via Memphis)

Donatas Motiejunas

Height: 7-0
    Weight: 220
    Analysis: The Wolves have the best group of international scouts in the NBA and if Motiejunas falls this far, I think they'd snap him up here. He's an aggressive scorer and has size -- two things the Wolves could use in the post.

Marshon Brooks, Kenneth Faried, Nikola Mirotic and Charles Jenkins are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Kenneth Faried

Height: 6-8
    Weight: 225
    School: Morehead State
    Analysis: The Blazers fell in love with Faried last year before he withdrew from the draft. If they are fortunate enough to get a second chance at him this year, they'll grab him. His relentlessness on the boards is a nice complement to LaMarcus Aldridge's more offensive-minded style.

Markieff Morris, Tobias Harris, Darius Morris, Reggie Jackson are other players to watch.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Denver

Tobias Harris

Weight: 223
    School: Tennessee
    Analysis: Harris may be one of the more underrated players in the draft. He can play both the 3 and 4, and he has a very high basketball IQ and an NBA body. Harris doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, but he is one of the most well-rounded players in the draft.

Charles Jenkins, Iman Shumpert and Tyler Honeycutt are other possibilities here.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston
    (via Orlando)

Darius Morris

Height: 6-5
    Weight: 190
    School: Michigan
    Analysis: We have the Rockets going big with pick No. 14 and we have them going big again at No. 23. Morris is a different kind of big. He's a point guard who towers over the competition. If he were a better shooter he'd be going much, much higher in the draft. But at this point he's a steal.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City

Nikola Mirotic

Weight: 226
    Analysis: Sam Presti is an opportunist, and he is patient -- two critical traits in a great GM. Mirotic, based on talent, is a lottery pick. But a massive buyout means he won't be playing in the NBA anytime soon. Mirotic shocked NBA teams by deciding to stay in the draft.

It will likely take him three years to actually make it to the NBA, but given the talent level, the Thunder could be getting a major steal down the road. If Mirotic is off the board, Davis Bertans and Bogan Bogdanovic are possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Boston

Jeremy Tyler

Weight: 263
    Team: Tokyo Apache
    Analysis: The Celtics are going to start rebuilding soon and they need to hit a home run again the same way they did with Rajon Rondo. Tyler could be that guy. If he had played in college, he might have had a chance to be a top-10 pick with his talent.

He's long, athletic and raw, but if he succeeds, he could be a major pickup for the Celtics. JaJuan Johnson, Justin Harper and Jon Leuer are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Dallas

Josh Selby

Weight: 195
    Analysis: The Mavs have won the title, but now it's time to begin thinking about the future. While the Mavs may have one more long run in those veteran legs, it's unlikely. Selby, like Tyler, could be a home run if he's developed right. His ability to get to the basket is really unmatched.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey
    (via L.A. Lakers)

Reggie Jackson

Weight: 208
    School: Boston College
    Analysis: Yes, the Nets have Deron Williams. But he's not a sure thing to stay in New Jersey after next season. Even if he does, Jackson would be a terrific backup and a player who could play off the ball in certain situations.

Had he not had a knee injury when the predraft process began, he could've gone much higher. He's great value here. Justin Harper, Tyler Honeycutt, JaJuan Johnson and Jeremy Tyler are all options here too.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago
    (via Miami)

Justin Harper

School: Richmond
    Analysis: Harper was one of the best stretch 4s in college basketball last season. He also has size and is a pretty good athlete. The Bulls need perimeter shooting and Harper should be able to give them some.

Charles Jenkins, Tyler Honeycutt and Jeremy Tyler are also possibilities.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio

Davis Bertans

Weight: 210
    Analysis: The Spurs have done a good job over the years of finding young international players and stashing them overseas for a few years until they're ready.

Bertans showed he can be a big-time shooter at the Nike Hoop Summit and adidas Eurocamp. At 18, he's worth taking a flier on and seeing what he can accomplish after another year or two in Europe.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago

Tyler Honeycutt

Position: G/F
    Weight: 188
    School: UCLA
    Analysis: The Bulls need scorers in their backcourt and ultimately need to find a backup for Derrick Rose at point guard. Honeycutt wasn't a dominating scorer in college, but his versatility should make him a nice fit in Chicago.

Next Five In: JaJuan Johnson, F, Purdue; Charles Jenkins, G, Hofstra; Nolan Smith, G, Duke; Jordan Williams, F/C, Maryland; Chandler Parsons, F, Florida
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    WTF, they got Kenneth Faried still on the board for the Knicks, and have the Knicks passing up on him?

SMFH, if Jimmer the GOAT was still there the I'd understand.....but definitely not for Marshon Brooks when we could possibly get Charles Jenkins in the 2nd round.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited June 2011
    Options
    WTF, they got Kenneth Faried still on the board for the Knicks, and have the Knicks passing up on him?

SMFH, if Jimmer the GOAT was still there the I'd understand.....but definitely not for Marshon Brooks when we could possibly get Charles Jenkins in the 2nd round.

I think faried would be the perfect player for the knicks. Faried knows his role and he's gonna play harder than everyone else on the floor. I see him as tyler hansborough clone, better on d and worst on offense and obviously a better rebounder. Lmao @ jimmer the GOAT. I'm not mad @ the marshon pick @ all, I just don't think it's the right pick for the knicks. I know need isn't everything but there are a couple picks that don't make sense to me. Why would the wizards take kanter if they're committed to not trading javale,why would the bobcats take marcus @ 9 when they have diaw and tyrus, why would the suns take alec burks over marshon when he's not a shooter,
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    Coo Coo Cal's Beanie Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

faried is 6'8" lol
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    faried is 6'8" lol

Faried has the NCAA record for rebounding.

You want someone to draft 6'9 Bismack Biyombo as a Center, so whats your point?
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Faried has the NCAA record for rebounding.

You want someone to draft 6'9 Bismack Biyombo as a Center, so whats your point?
    Biyombo is longer nh, more athletic, can run the floor better and defend better. Also has a higher ceiling.
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Biyombo is longer nh, more athletic, can run the floor better and defend better. Also has a higher ceiling.

you've only seen Biyombo play 1 time.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I hope the rockets can put together a package so we can get some players in. We got 3 picks in the first 32. If not, we need some help at the C and SF.
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm just hopin my boys (The Kings) don't ? up this 7th pick..We've done good these last 2 drafts, but it's obvious Tyreke is not a pg, he needs to be at the 2, and we need to take Kemba...They got us drafting Kawhi Leonard, which is stupid..We just need to light a fire under Donte Greene's ass and keep him playing at a high level..plus we got Casspi and it would be stupid to draft another 3...We need guard help and thats clear..Marcus Thorton was a good pickup and could win 6th man of the year if we had Kemba & Tyreke in the backcourt...But if we do draft Leonard, we need to sign J.R Smith, cuz we're too thin at the point guard spot, and we could at least use the extra sg so Tyreke can stay at point..
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This class doesn't look like the best, but hopefully my Magic can pick up someone decent....
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I hope the rockets can put together a package so we can get some players in. We got 3 picks in the first 32. If not, we need some help at the C and SF.

Morey has said multiple times that we're trying to move up(just like every year, you know morey cant' ever sit still) but I don't know if it's gonna happen. We aren't gonna trade a starter besides bud, and courtney lee and pat are too important off the bench to give up. I have no problem giving up j hill plus the 14 and 23 to move up but I don't know who would take that package thats in the top 10. Either way I think we can get a solid player @ 14, dream scenario to me would be we take klay thompson and he ends up being a beast and we can move k-mart but that's just me though
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    edited June 2011
    Options
    you've only seen Biyombo play 1 time.
    Pr00f?????????????
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Pr00f?????????????

if you say you watched him play more than once, you either live in the Congo or you're lying.

or you watched the same game more than once.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    if you say you watched him play more than once, you either live in the Congo or you're lying.

or you watched the same game more than once.

It is not inconceivable to have seen him play multiple times. They show Spanish ACB League games on ESPN 3 all the time.
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    It is not inconceivable to have seen him play multiple times. They show Spanish ACB League games on ESPN 3 all the time.

this ? does not check for ACB league games bruh, im sure of it nh.

but smh @ you giving him a loophole, he wasn't gon know ? about that.
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    edited June 2011
    Options
    this ? does not check for ACB league games bruh, im sure of it nh.

but smh @ you giving him a loophole, he wasn't gon know ? about that.
    Pr00f???????????
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    "The Knicks have just concluded a hush-hush workout in which they got their second looks at Marshon Brooks, Josh Selby, Darius Morris, Jeremy Tyler and Nikola Vucevic. Those five were joined at Monday's workout by a much lower-rated player on Mock Draft boards, Mississippi State senior Ravern Johnson, a 6-foot-7 shooting guard who made more than 40 percent of his 3-point attempts in each of his last two seasons. "

"I still believe the Knicks would draft Klay Thompson of Washington State if he is available at No. 17, and Ford is reporting in this draft chatter smorgasbord (Insider) that Donnie Walsh and Glen Grunwald are trying to trade up to get Jimmer Fredette, who many teams do not expect to get past the Utah Jazz at No. 12 -- especially if they select Turkish prospect Enes Kanter at No. 3. That means the Knicks would likely have to target the Bobcats' No. 9 pick, Milwaukee's No. 10 pick or Golden State's No. 11 pick in a trade if they wanted to move up for Fredette."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/
  • MillzOG
    edited June 2011
    Options
    whoever got insider, do me a solid and copy paste that Knicks ? about trading up for Jimmer the GOAT.
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    edited June 2011
    Options
    LOL knicks are ruining their franchise. They want this wackass cracka and D'Antoni is gonna be gone at the end of the year. Stupid