Since when did blasphemy become the standard in hip hop?

Options
tharealest561
tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in The Forum of Fame
Now granted, rappers have always (on a broad level) expressed many different views on religion and personal beliefs. From the Five Percenters, Muslims, and Christians every religion has been reflected through some of our favorite artists.

But lately, it's almost a requirement to drop some blasphemous ? in your tracks, albums, artwork, etc.

Kanye and Jay take it to another level with almost every song theyve dropped in yhe past 2 years having some sort of anti-Christian ? in it, but now you got Game, Meek, and just a gang of dudes clownin the religion. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Comments

• LV_Don
    LV_Don Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Won't hurt you if you don't listen to it....

Some songs on religion are GOAT material though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qOw6td2Hg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. but no one will speak on it. Now if someone went the same route on Islam it'll be all kinds of beef
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Nope. but no one will speak on it. Now if someone went the same route on Islam it'll be all kinds of beef
    You dont see muslims wearing "ALLAH PIECES" with faces on it just these

High-Quality-Hip-Hop-20Pcs-Lot-2Colors-font-b-Allah-b-font-STAR-Pendant-Wood-Rosary.jpg
  • LV_Don
    LV_Don Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thought process of a Jay/Game/Meek Mill/Tyler etc.....

Imma make a song insulting Jews for attention.....hol' up my boss is one so I better not

What about putting Muhammad on my album cover/chain.....oh ? they gonna put a Jihad on me for that no way

How about dissing Scientology in one of my verses.....damn Tom Cruise bout that life I'll never get a break in Hollywood doing that...

So all that's left is one of the religions that tries to keep us black folk united and peaceful.....? if it gets me more money I'm all for it

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prodigy was saying some depressing ass ? circa HNIC.

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was wondering the same ? but its always been that way. Makes you know there is a ? because so many people try to bring Him down.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant forget Cole "Born Sinner". Starting 2 think this music ? is really demonic
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was originally done for shock value (that "I can't believe he said that" kind of reaction), but the more talented emcees have moved past that.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How? everybody knows that is a main theme in the bible that we are born sinners and only way to be saved is to confess Jesus is savior. not trying to get preachy just saying
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

crying ass ? ... America is a predominantly Christian nation. Not Islam or Atheist. ? are they supposed to talk about?
  • soul rattler
    Options

Single worst post in this sheep ass thread

Christian lore says all mankind is born with sin because of Adam's disobedience. But the phrase "born sinner" is demonic?

J. Cole didn't coin the phrase "born sinner". Biggie did. You know, the guy that got shot the ? up in 1997. Over a decade ago. But you're STARTING to think music is demonic in 2012.
  • knife
    knife Members Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm sorry I just found myself straight up laughing with this ? . You dig MC Hammer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1uAN6lpw0A
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really majority of Hip Hop artists are agnostic/atheist but just afraid to admit it because they'll lose fans and money, so they'll slip in blasphemous phrases for just "shock value".
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Demarco27 wrote: »
    SO in order to sell sex, drugs and violence(the only ? that sells) they have to divorce u from these beliefs.
    just my 2 cents

Very good point my dude.

• Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think ? like Jay-z know religion has questions that can't be answered, and they play on that to keep people talking. Its like free publicity. Same as all that Illuminati ? . They do that ? so u pay attention to all their music and people eat it up.

Look @ the cover art for WTT. Cmon son. Its blatant. Im not religious so the ? dont bother me.
    What u think he meant "? all these fairytales"? he talkin about Biblical stories that are basically myths.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    So if a ? don't "praise ? " in his acceptance speech, he's blasphemous? Is ? on the ? Grammy board? ? giving out BET and MTV awards?
    I think ? like Jay-z know religion has questions that can't be answered, and they play on that to keep people talking. Its like free publicity. Same as all that Illuminati ? . They do that ? so u pay attention to all their music and people eat it up.

Look @ the cover art for WTT. Cmon son. Its blatant. Im not religious so the ? dont bother me.
    What u think he meant "? all these fairytales"? he talkin about Biblical stories that are basically myths.

What was the Watch The Throne album cover about?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Christianity
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2012
    Options
    So if a ? don't "praise ? " in his acceptance speech, he's blasphemous? Is ? on the ? Grammy board? ? giving out BET and MTV awards?

? gave the talent, drive and hard work to write those rhymes, stay up all night in the studio to create great music, reap the benefits off it to get out whatever negative situation they've been in before they made it and to help their homies/associates. So basically you have those that thank The Most High is actually genuine with it...everyone seem to forget it was Hip Hop that saved some lives.

• Disciplined InSight
    edited November 2012
    Options
  • Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What was the Watch The Throne album cover about?

Here u go trollin. U misreadin my post. Im not advocating for one side or another, im just pointing out the intent.
    I could give a ? who u thank @ an award show. But i still notice the change.

As for the cover art on watch the throne, i take it as Jay n Ye making fun of Christianity cuz (as stated before) its the safest religion to attack.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I believe there's a ? above me, I'm just the ? of everything else" - Pusha-T

That line by Pusha is exactly how I feel.. I have no religion btw..
This discussion has been closed.