Official Thread - HBO Series: The Night Of

Options

Comments

• eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was becoming more and more annoying how stupid Naz was. I almost didn't want to watch the finale bc of the possibility of him doing something really stupid
  • Magicjohnson
    Magicjohnson Members Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Options
    Is this worth watchn
  • wizv.2
    wizv.2 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This reminded me of True Detective S1, all that build up led to an underwhelming ass ending.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    what were ya'll expecting to happen?

it was pretty cut and dry to me

Naz gets on the stand and is a muslim at that and is asked if he killed slim and says I don't know. You have the murder weapon in his pocket and the prosecutor caught him in 2 lies about taking the drugs and taking the knife. And he gets a hung jury...i don't find that believable

? at the end with the cat was corny af
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? was never about the murder, it was about the people, places, and things that singular act affected and how with the Criminal Justice System acts as the fulcrum.

The ending was dope:

-Stone gonna Stone
    -Naz's life is ? up
    -The prosecutor is going after the real killer with Boz
    -Chandra learned she's not built for that job.
    -Freddie gonna Freddie

The people who went into this experience indifferent or jaded began to redeem themselves: Stone, Female prosecutor, Boz, and Freddie.

The people who came in "seemingly pure" left ? up: Nas and Chandra.

Tv doesn't get better than this!

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    AP21 wrote: »
    what were ya'll expecting to happen?

it was pretty cut and dry to me

Naz gets on the stand and is a muslim at that and is asked if he killed slim and says I don't know. You have the murder weapon in his pocket and the prosecutor caught him in 2 lies about taking the drugs and taking the knife. And he gets a hung jury...i don't find that believable

? at the end with the cat was corny af

i asked you what did you expect to happen fam lol

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    This ? was never about the murder, it was about the people, places, and things that singular act affected and how with the Criminal Justice System acts as the fulcrum.

The ending was dope:

-Stone gonna Stone
    -Naz's life is ? up
    -Freddie gonna Freddie

The people who went into this experience indifferent or jaded began to redeem themselves: Stone, Female prosecutor, Boz, and Freddie.

this

to me, what should be highlighted is the fact that Box was so quick to pin it on Naz and when his lawyer asked why no one else was interviewed despite a number of other persons of interest.

How quick/often in our judicial system does this EXACT thing happen, when someone is accused, no other people of interests are interviewed, and the wrong person gets convicted

i said it before, i dont like how all of a sudden, the financial adviser became the "ah haaaaa" reveal in the last episode, but i get it
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH at box keeping his mouth shut because of how the system is. He wanted to say something soooo bad but his boss was like......"NOPE" just retire and move one. The mortician got the same treatment.

@Beta

Only issue I had with the ending was I wanted to see the backlash after they caught the real killer. I also wanted to know how he did it as well. Just to bring a lil more closure. But this show was ultimately about the flawed side of the system. So it's not that big of a deal. Just could have made the ending that much more epic though.
    (Nope) wrote: »

The ending was dope:

-Stone gonna Stone
    -Naz's life is ? up
    -Freddie gonna Freddie

You get it!!!!!! LOL I swear some people just refuse to use more than a little of their brain power. This series is some deep ass ? . I saw on t.v the other day how some people involved in law were mad at how this show portrayed the system. LOL they mad that they showed the ugly side of the law. This show is not for simple minded folks lol. This was more like a documentary than a show.

This is exactly why some cats don't get the purge movies. They are looking for a crazy horror movie and not what it's actually focused on.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I just finished episode 4. This show is EXCELLENT. As much as I like it tho I can only watch 1 ep a day...I can't binge watch this cuz prison and the justice system are so ? it'll depress me if I watch a lot of it lol.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    I knew that accountant was fishy. I watch waaaay too many of these mystery type shows.
    marc123 wrote: »
    Damn. Even tho Nas got off. That finale was depressing as ? . System turned Nas into an animal.

That's how the system be doing cats, especially minorities. Jail/prison is supposed to rehabilitate. But it usually makes things worse. They also put an alleged killer in there with actual cold blooded killers lol.

You also peep how they failed to do an actual investigation outside of nas? It's all about money, and politics. Very little to do with what actually happened. That's why we have ? like the o.j. simpson trial or lol. So much tax money is wasted on this ? .

And don't think the lawyer grew a heart at the end. She only went after the killer to redeem her status and make up for her L, smh.

No its not. The US prison has been moved away from being about rehabilitation and been strictly about punishment for decades now. Talking since the 70's
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The realest ? was when the prosecutor was like ? that new evidence its too late now. I'm about to get a guilty verdict with Naz.

That ? is really commonplace in the system. They don't give a ? who they lock up they just want a conviction. If you get out on appeal so be it. You got lucky.

The ? a big ass game to them It don't matter that they are playing with peoples lives.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^yea. ? up ? .
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My TV provider just dropped the box set...5 episodes on the trot and this is great tv.

Smash on the hoe that burnt feet keeps ? with.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Bayish wrote: »
    Co sign what everyone has been saying wonderful show. JAMES GANDOFINI was a executive producer. Good to see Soprano and Wire cats together. I too think ole boy with Bodie has something to do with. Her d boy turned boyfriend getting jealous.

He was actually supposed to play john stone. They kept his name on the project out of respect.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Lol @ dude really being named duane reade
  • DNB1
    Options
    Can't believe he didn't go get his woman Chandra as soon as he got free...

She was a real one...went above and beyond for him.

I woulda went and wifed that straight away...same day.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^you aint never lied.

First i woulda got those tatts removed. Then i woulda wifed Chandra.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's not ? with him. Dude basically gave the green light that almost got her de bared
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's not ? with him. Dude basically gave the green light that almost got her de bared

He could've talked his way back to her.

I mean, she's a lawyer and all........but Naz had her pulling drugs out her snatch like that dude's mom that killed himself.

Can't tell me he couldn't have gotten back with her.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

He could've talked his way back to her.

I mean, she's a lawyer and all........but Naz had her pulling drugs out her snatch like that dude's mom that killed himself.

Can't tell me he couldn't have gotten back with her.

Doubtful, even though she didn't get debarred she'll basically get blackballed from ever practicing law again. I mean if he could come back from basically ruining a woman's life like that more power to him but I doubt it.
  • DNB1
    Options
    He could have got her back.

Nobody forced her to do what she did. She genuinely liked him more than she should have.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Although I believe they played it safe in the end and i wouldve prefered a more ambiguous and melancholic conclusion, I enjoyed the series overall. Sucks that Chandra lost her job for virtually nothing though.

One thing that did bug me, was the lawyers never bringing up the fact that nas did not have any blood on him. If andrea was stabbed 22 times in a grisly murder scene where blood is splattered everywhere, wouldnt nas be covered in her blood? yet he wasnt, so why wouldnt the lawyers point that out?

But all in all, it started off strong and descended slightly in quality toward the end. id give it an 8 overall
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Catchin a rewatch right now, knowing what I know now about what this show was really about, it's even better than I thought it was
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Michael Williams was on breakfast club dj envy kept asking him if there was going to be a season 2 and if they'd find out who the real killer was. Williams then went into what the show was really about but envy said he never thought of it like that, he looked at it more like usual suspects where the ending would be a big reveal.

Made me realize how much of an idiot dj envy was. Like he'd want a second season where nsz is trying to get on with his life, gets to anther party meets another girl and THEN da da dummmmm

She wins up dead in bed next to him and he is like oh ? not again!!! And then he back smoking heroin with freddy talking about i know you innocent again dogg...ima help you. Stone and the rest believe in him and it's all about them trying to just say it's a huge coincidence. Then he gets off and marries the Indian lawyer.

Then third season he goes to another party, try to get on with his life, then da da dummmmmmm

Another girl winds up dead, and he like man ain't this some ? , i didn't do it. And he back smoking heroin with freddy... And Freddy is like man I'm staying to doubt your innocence, but he's like i didn't do it i didn't do it, ppl keep framing me... But ppl start to doubt...

That's what dj envy wanted the show to be
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Lmao somebody at work told me about envy's interview where he basically said he was mad they didn't tell who the killer was. I was like this ? dumb as hell they told you who exactly who tf did it lol