Samsung Galaxy S3...Knockin em out da box!

Options

Comments

• lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Piffawana wrote: »
    Dont know if you guys seen it already or have read it somewhere.
    There is a new update coming. Premium suite upgrade.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6aM7kQ7sCRE

Looks dope but Android (or maybe the problem is Samsung) is slow as ? when releasing updates. Looks like I might have to try and root mine.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw bruh it isn't Android. It's the carriers. They want to put there bloatware and etc onto the update. Put it through some testing n ? before they release.
  • Piffawana
    Piffawana Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Options
    Its the carriers indd.
    Thats why the updates are always rolled out at diff times att diff carriers.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    Dat Phone Carl Lewis: Freezing Apps and Freeing up RAM

I figured I talk about this since we got new cats rooting their phone n ? . Indeed, the most famous thing about rooting your phone (besides getting complete control), is the elimination or freezing, of bloatware apps. These pre installed apps are provided by yours truly, the service provider and manufacturer. Unbeknownst to plenty folks, these apps take up your RAM (random access memory, not saying you dumb, just some people don't know what it is) and considerably slows down your phone performance. Most of these PIAs are running in the background as soon as you turn on your phone and stays on no matter what you do (if you don't have root, that is). For instance, I'm with Tmo. Tmobile just now got into Visual Voicemail. Visual Vmail (or VVM) allows you to see your VM without using the phone to call out to a server to hear your messages. The message is transcribed for you. The funny part about all this? Well, you got an android phone. Android is google and google already has this option for you. So essentially you have two apps that are running, using your RAM.

cm-30819-3509d6ea78c037.gif
    My sentiments exactly

This is where Titanium Backup Pro comes in. With TBP, you can now uninstall or freeze these apps that are running in the background. First, I must say before going further, I wouldn't consider uninstalling some apps if you consider using some of them later on. Or you not sure if its what you do not want anymore. I would suggest freezing your apps. Now Titanium Backup, as far as I know, don't provide the option to freeze or uninstall. You must purchase the key for the Titanium Backup Pro. There are ways to find the key without paying for it but that's another discussion.

So lets get into it and see what's up.
    1019551-1287156706845.jpg

The above is an older looking version but the selections (Overview, Backup/Restore, Schedules) are still the same. The first thing I would suggest to you is to backup your phone immediately. Select the backup option and you can choose the apps that you want to backup as well as information stored on your phone. But again, that's another discussion (if need be, we'll elaborate on that as well)

So lets get back to freeing up some RAM for your powerful new rooted phone. Select "Backup/Restore" option. The next screen shows you the list of all your apps and such that run on your phone. You will see all from "Face Unlock" to "Yahoo! Finance".

Once you find the app you want to freeze, you want to tap the far right of it, where you see icons. On my phone I can see a lil phone icon and an smiling face-that's what you want to tap.

You will see the following screen
    1019552-1287156706845.jpg

As you can see, there are three options...Backup!, Freeze!, and Un-install. You can also see information such as when the last time you backup'd that particular app. The next thing to do is just hit "Freeze!". Once you do, the app no longer runs and if you have an icon on one of your various screens, it will be removed. You can repeat this for any app that you don't use. But be forewarned! Not all apps or running processes should be frozen. You can ? your phone up that way. For instance, if it has something dignified as a system process, I wouldn't freeze it. So be cautious of what you're freezing. You have root access and if you make a mistake, you can be looking at an expensive piece of paperweight.

Here are some that I frozen:

-Bonus Apps (Tmo Installed)
    -Email (Samsung provided email...don't need it when you got a gmail app as well)
    -Face Unlock (Samsung)
    -Game Hub (Samsung)
    -Google Play Books
    -Google Play Movies and TV
    -Media hub (Samsung)
    -MobileLife Contacts (Tmo)
    -S Suggest (Samsung)
    -Samsung Apps
    -T-Mobile Name ID
    -T-Mobile TV
    -Visual Voicemail (Tmo)

These are just some of things I have frozen. Before having them frozen, my RAM usage was pretty high. We got 2GBs of RAM (which is essentially 1.62GB) and my phone before root was running close to that 1.62 limit. Freezing the apps help cleared the RAM, which in turn helped my phone to run faster.

If a more comprehensive list is needed, let me know and I will do so. Any questions, feel free to ask. I know @Cain1 don't mind helping and I don't either. If I don't know the answer, I will try to send you somewhere where you can find the answer.

Later on, I will talk about the ROMs I tinkering with and try to keep you cats up to date on whats hot out there. Any contributions to this thread is always welcomed. Knowledge is greater when its shared.

• MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone use go sms? For some reason pics from my private box gets deleted before I see them.
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    Anyone use go sms? For some reason pics from my private box gets deleted before I see them.

@MrSoutCity I used that app but I never had that problem. Have you checked the settings?

I think I found the problem I activate att message app. Had to work so hard to get my cougar to start sending nudes.
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    Is there any other apps that I can use with a secret box
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    Is there any other apps that I can use with a secret box

@mrsoutcity its app called hide it pro or audio manager. The best app in the game for hiding ? . It looks like app that sets the volume for your phone. Lol that ? is goat trust

Good looking out Imma check it out now...
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    lol yea any real ? needs a hide it app most def. I keep my personal biz private, nah mean?
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will be joining the s3 crew later today. Gotta root the phone so I can get the 5gb of Verizon bloatware off the phone. Any must-have apps to get?
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you kind sir. The salesman kept trying to push the droid DNA on me but I wasn't feeling the fact that the memory isn't expandable
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tha bause wrote: »
    Thank you kind sir. The salesman kept trying to push the droid DNA on me but I wasn't feeling the fact that the memory isn't expandable

I'm surprised by that. They barely even advertise the DNA. I've got it, and it's a good phone, but yeah if you're a memory hog, it's not the phone for you.

• eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im not the most tech savvy person. rooting a s3 on a mac and pc is it the samething bc i have a mac and i couldnt open that file
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    New to this:

If I didn't buy it from a carrier (international unlocked model), does it need rooting?
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna root my ? so bad. But my timid ass is afraid of bricking my phone

#not so tech savvy ? post
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK so my sprint contract is up on 2/11/13. I don't want to sign another contract, where can I get an S3 for the best price? I am staying with sprint.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive had this phone for a few days and love it.

There are only few complaints I have about it.

The first is the lag time at times it seems as though I text faster than the phone can process what Im doing.

The third thing is the autocorrect option I preferred the iPhone's aurocorrect to the Droids autocorrect thats formatted totally different.

The third and most important thing is dropped calls.

I live in a more rural part of the country and while I had my iPhone it rarely ever dropped calls this G3 has dropped many calls most of yall urban
    dwellers probably don't have this issue but I live in the Louisiana backwoods and I do.

Other than those things its the best phone Ive ever owned does stuff right out the box I had to jailbreak my iPhone to do.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Thanks @Cain1 I appreciate it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ive had this phone for a few days and love it.

There are only few complaints I have about it.

The first is the lag time at times it seems as though I text faster than the phone can process what Im doing.

The third thing is the autocorrect option I preferred the iPhone's aurocorrect to the Droids autocorrect thats formatted totally different.

The third and most important thing is dropped calls.

I live in a more rural part of the country and while I had my iPhone it rarely ever dropped calls this G3 has dropped many calls most of yall urban
    dwellers probably don't have this issue but I live in the Louisiana backwoods and I do.

Other than those things its the best phone Ive ever owned does stuff right out the box I had to jailbreak my iPhone to do.

If you don't like something about the Droid keyboard, you can always go to the Play Store and DL another keyboard. There are even some on there that mimic the iPhone, so you can correct that problem at least.
  • Crude_
    Options
    @Monk I was still thinking close minded bro.

I thought the Android store was like the Apple store and didnt offer different key boards without being jailbroke.

Im in the process of downloading a new one now.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    @Monk I was still thinking close minded bro.

I thought the Android store was like the Apple store and didnt offer different key boards without being jailbroke.

Im in the process of downloading a new one now.

Yep, rule of thumb, if there is anything you don't like about Android, chances are you can replace it with something you like better. I think the only stock things I use are email and the internet browser. I've replaced everything else with something I like better.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try Go Keyboard
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    Yo preciate all the contributions and comments in this thread. IDGAF bout numbers, but I do enjoy cats using this thread to fully realize their S3's/android potential.

Oh yea, that bomb keyboard is better keyboard, but they don't sell that in the store no more. Only on Amazon. But there's ways to cop that better keyboard...

Remember, files are APK
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Just because I'm bored. Here's my keyboard setup. You can do practically anything with these apps these days.

Screenshot_2013-01-15-20-25-25_zpsbc8baba9.png