Comments

• 215regz
    215regz Members Posts: 16
    Options
    215regz wrote: »
    I
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Yo g, 40 water aint Marley or the Beatles though lol.

I never said he was. And that's not the point anyway. I used them as examples to demonstrate a larger argument. I guess you missed that. Go back and read again.

Encouraging someone to skim through any random book and lecturing at Harvard doesn't automatically make you a better MC. If so, please explain how. Also being a good performer doesn't equate to being the best rapper. Again, if so, please explain how. For instance, Flava Flav was a good performer in his day but he was never a great rapper.
    No, it doesn't make you a better MC. But in Black America 1988-1990 it made you damn near a superhero. There was no internet. Things were way more racist, information was not readily available to hood kids. So when he told you to read the 5 chapters of Budda Zen or Bhagava Gita, Malcolm's By Any Means Necessary, he was not encouraging random reading, he was jeweling you. There are dudes who will tell you right now they were in jail or moving work on the corner and starting educating themselves after hearing KRS on By Any Means, Ghetto Music, Edutainment. It made him greater than just a rapper.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    made it cool to have knowledge in the hood, an almost impossible feat.

If you call spitting inaccuracies an incredible feat, sure. For example, You Must Learn was riddled with erroneous statements, like Benjamin Banneker invented the almanac. I can keep going.

If you gonna quote though g, quote Why Is That also. His biblical references are correct. Beef- the ? is correct lol. Black Cop- correct lol. I can keep going too lol.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'll quote the song Beef:
    KRS One wrote: »
    See cows live under fear and stress
    Trying to think what's gonna happen next
    Fear and stress can become a part of you
    In your cells and blood, this is true
    So when the cow is killed, believe it
    You preserve those cells, you freeze it
    Thaw it out with the blood and season it
    Then you sit down and begin eatin it
    In your body, it's structure becomes your structure
    All the fear and stress of another

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Do you have links to scientific studies disproving what was said...are you a Bovine expert or Bovine Farmer?

I guess the Jews and Muslims have it wrong then when it comes to "Kosher" or "Halal" food

Or perhaps "You are what you eat?" is something you never heard before uh?
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, c'mon, @Oceanic.

I know most of these rap artist are theists.

But you don't have to o'd like this.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I

I never said he was. And that's not the point anyway. I used them as examples to demonstrate a larger argument. I guess you missed that. Go back and read again.

Encouraging someone to skim through any random book and lecturing at Harvard doesn't automatically make you a better MC. If so, please explain how. Also being a good performer doesn't equate to being the best rapper. Again, if so, please explain how. For instance, Flava Flav was a good performer in his day but he was never a great rapper.
    I got your original point. That is your opinion that The Beatles were more talented than the blues guys, its not objective fact, taste dictates how you feel about things like that. As well as your opinion that KRS is some vastly inferior artist compared to E-40 ( I don't think facts back this up, KRS' contributions have been documented, whether they matter to you or not.) But I quoted 40 because musicians tend to have a better perspective on talent than fans because they know what it takes to create.

Also, you must just not like KRS. I cant take you serious if your comparing him to Flavor Flav, you're not debating anymore just saying crazy stuff lol. Flava Flav is a hypeman. KRS is considered one of the greatest MCs ever in many polls over the years for lyrics, shows, battle ability. Don't let your disdain for KRS cloud your judgement g.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I didn't say the Beatles were better than any blues artists in particular. What I'm saying is that these artists are great because of their longevity.
    Also, I'm not saying KRS is no better than Flav. I'm using Flav as an example to demonstrate how being a good performer doesn't automatically make you a good rapper.
  • Bodhi
    Options

If you call spitting inaccuracies an incredible feat, sure. For example, You Must Learn was riddled with erroneous statements, like Benjamin Banneker invented the almanac. I can keep going.

If you gonna quote though g, quote Why Is That also. His biblical references are correct. Beef- the ? is correct lol. Black Cop- correct lol. I can keep going too lol.

^^^ This is not true.

Genesis Chapter 11 Verse 10
    Explains the Genealogy of Shem
    Shem was a Black Man
    In Africa
    If you repeat this fact they cant laugh at you
    Genesis 14 Verse 13
    Abraham steps on the scene \
    Being a descendent of Shem which is a fact
    means \
    Abraham too was Black
    ^^^^^
    that is true
    and the beef stuff, I'm sure you could find a hippie who says its true lol.
    I'm sure 40 and all other MC's have inaccuracies, misstatements, etc in their catalogue, not just the Blastmaster.

I'm a vegetarian myself. That statement is false.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I

No, it doesn't make you a better MC. But in Black America 1988-1990 it made you damn near a superhero. There was no internet. Things were way more racist, information was not readily available to hood kids. So when he told you to read the 5 chapters of Budda Zen or Bhagava Gita, Malcolm's By Any Means Necessary, he was not encouraging random reading, he was jeweling you. There are dudes who will tell you right now they were in jail or moving work on the corner and starting educating themselves after hearing KRS on By Any Means, Ghetto Music, Edutainment. It made him greater than just a rapper.

Styles P. got me to read Miseducation of the ? but that doesn't make him any better of a rapper.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Do you have links to scientific studies disproving what was said...are you a Bovine expert or Bovine Farmer?

I guess the Jews and Muslims have it wrong then when it comes to "Kosher" or "Halal" food

Better yet, do you have any scientific studies proving that statement to be true?
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Damn, y'all put Styles P on blast.

LOL.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Oh, c'mon, @Oceanic.

I know most of these rap artist are theists.

But you don't have to o'd like this.

Just healthy debate.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is almost like comparing busta rhymes to rakim....

I mean both are dope, but you talkin about two totally different lanes... two totally different styles of rap.

88Mike Tyson vs. Bruce Lee lol.. I mean it's like apples and oranges... what do you like better shrimp or pizza? ? I like both.

That ? in that Bruce Lee thread was some of the stupidest ? I ever read, unless your putting gloves on Bruce and in a boxing ring with boxing rules then it's not even worth debating, it's not close, there's no maybe if this happened or that happened, Tyson wouldnt even get a jab in

damn it's ? up you missed the entire point I was trying to make. I mean damn out of all that ? I typed all you got out of it was a comparison I made between two good fighters in both of their respective sports? you ignore the point so much just to analyze that. c'mon homie, if you can appreciate both then what is the problem? that's all I was trying to say.

? u catch feelings for I wasnt even going at u I was just letting it be known how I felt about that statement, unless u were one of the ones co signing it

lil homie i'm too epic to catch feelings from anything you got to say. it's grapes to an ape playboy. that's how you felt and thats it, but next time step ya reading comprehension game up tho.
  • achewon87
    Options

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Better yet, do you have any scientific studies proving that statement to be true?

Actually the onus is on you, you're the one who claims it's false. I am not the one questioning the veracity of the statement. In fact I never even stated a position on if I even believe it or not, you did, with a 3 up arrows and 4 words just figured maybe you would want to provide something more than that to disprove it.
  • Bodhi
    Options

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Actually the onus is on you, you're the one who claims it's false. I am not the one questioning the veracity of the statement. In fact I never even stated a position on if I even believe it or not, you did, with a 3 up arrows and 4 words just figured maybe you would want to provide something more than that to disprove it.

KRS is the one making the claim. The burden of proof lies on him, and you if you want to defend the claim. I don't believe it.
    I'm saying there's no scientific evidence of that being true.
    Your move.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I'm sure 40 has inaccuracies, misstatements, etc in their catalogue, not just the Blastmaster.

Feel free to point them out
  • achewon87
    Options

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

KRS is the one making the claim. The burden of proof lies on him, and you if you want to defend the claim. I don't believe it.
    Your move.

Again I am not claiming a position, you are.

So no scientific evidence of disease crossing over from Bovine to man?

I'll let Mad Cow disease know...
  • Bodhi
    Options

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Your move.

LMAO!!! The name "mad cow disease" does not mean the cow was literally upset before it died. You need to do research before you talk about this stuff.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    @Oceanic.

Look what you did.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Damn, y'all put Styles P on blast.

LOL.

Haha.. nah.. there was an interview a while back where styles said Miseducation of the ? is a book he'd recommend to every black man I'm America. I read it after that and its a great book but he didn't become better as an MC after I read the book just because he recommended reading it.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Im picking E40 because I've always enjoyed his music more but it's no slight to KRS. I'm a person who hates how arrogant he is but that don't got nothing to do with his talent as an mc.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Styles is nice but I understand what you mean.

For instance, Nas is a pseudo-intellectual but still is in my top 5.

I don't look for rappers for guidance.
  • achewon87
    Options

^^^ This is not true.

Which part?

Your move.

LMAO!!! The name "mad cow disease" does not mean the cow was literally upset before it died. You need to do research before you talk about this stuff.

Stop deflecting, I am well aware of what it is...

So you can't get sick from a eating a cow infected with "Mad Cow" disease?
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Y'all don't remember how big Krs was... E 40 ain't never been as popular as Krs was in his prime... Ic Revisionist history again...

E40 isnt popular out of Cali. Ok.

But hes well respected by other emcees and is still putting music out.

KRS got sonned by Nelly
    wrong 40 is popular in most regions just never caught on out east this ? just as big down south as he is in cali he was ? with them way before they were running ?
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The south ? with 40 water. Matter fact the south & the bay always respect each other music since the early 90s

& Nelly won that beef against KRS
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wish they never taught you people the word "relevant"

"relevant" is actually irrelevant when it comes to music.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo where is the poll.....lol

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was around when KRS was schooling cats on albums like By All Means Necessarry, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop, Edutainment, Sex and Violence and Return of the Boom Bap. Also his self titled album and I Got Next. After I Got Next he went independent and hasn't gotten the marketing and promotion, but financially he gets a bigger percentage of what's left after recoupable expenses. In other words KRS makes more money off of royalties now than he did when he was on a major label.

But lets go back to songs like Beef and Why is That. You may agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he was the only rapper in the game using Hip Hop as a tool to teach listeners. I can remember being in 11th grade when the You Must Learn video came out. It was mindblowing. It was revolutionary. He made me want to acquire knowledge and him, along with Chuck D and to a lesser extent Rakim were the leaders of that era in Hip Hop where it was considered cool to drop knowledge on wax. Nowadays rappers rap about throwing money up in the air at a strip club. Back then rappers rapped about Malcolm X, The importance of a proper diet and how to free your mind from the chains of mental slavery.

Bottom line KRS was a pioneer because he made you think. He wrote rhymes that made you think and you could agree or disagree with what he said but the point is that he made you think. You can't say that about alot of modern day rappers.